220V Welder Outlet Question??

You should only have your ground and neutral connected at the first piont off of your transformer, meaning that it will not allways being connected or bonded at the panel.But if it is bonded at the panel, you will not show any ponteintal feed back on your neutral wire . only to your first load.You are hooking up a welder, not a range. there is a difference . If you are hooking up 240v no 110 loads and goes directly to your first panel or your bonded panel, there is no difference in using the neutral or the ground. Your houses are not wired wrong. I am a master electrician, my wife is a journeyman electrician. If you have questions just pm.

# 10 ---- 30 amp. max 8--- 40 amps max on a breaker if using romex

if using thhn can go 50 amps on #8

Last edited:

Caleb

Don't most welders have to be on a 50 amp breaker? I know when I wired mine I put it on a 50 Amp.

Ac-225 arc welder
that'd be one hell of a welder to require 50 amps :D. Looks at the specs of your welder, I bet a 30A breaker is more than enough.

olywrestle

Duct Tape
What gauge wire did you use?
I used the same gauge wire you would for a range. I cannot remember off the top of my head. It was a very short run so the cost difference was not a ton, and wanted to err on the side of caution.

directly from Lincoln Electric:
Three #10 or larger copper wires are required if conduit
is used. For long cable runs over 100'(31m), #8 or larger wire in
conduit will be needed to prevent excessive voltage drops. Fuse the
two hot lines with 50 ampere super lag type fuses as shown in the
following diagram.
If a separate disconnect switch is used, it should have two
poles for the two hot lines and both should be fused for 50 amperes.