22R - No Spark???

84 4Runner

Restless 'Runner
I need a little help diagnosing!!

My 84 4Runner with a 22R has been running rather sh!tty for about a week since my alternator started going out, even after I replaced it. It was hesitating/misfiring unevenly while both cold and after being warmed up. It lugged and just seemed to have no power. :mad:

Tonight it decided to just die in the middle of an intersection and would not start up again. :( :eek: :( It turns over, but there is no spark somewhere between the fuse box and the distributor. Lights and all other electrical work fine.

Any thoughts?? I am thinking it might be the ignitor. Does this sound plausible? I have replaced the following within the past year: battery, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, O2 sensor, fuel pump, starter, coil.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I have a spare ignitor to test with if you want. I've had that a few times. I don't get why it does it. Mine seem to go through mood swings though. there all better later.

redrock

i was reading your post and my buddys did that and his timing chain was shot they have a little poly bushing in there i think and it caused it to skip a tooth or something not sure so don't quote me

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I thought all second gen ignitors were the same. Check the chian thats a good idea. compression test or if it's even there ext.

84 4Runner

Restless 'Runner
I'm fairly certain it's not the timing chain. I replaced it 3 years ago. Also, the starting sounds it makes aren't quite the same as when the timing chain isn't on...

I'm fairly certain it's an electrical problem of some sort. I will (hopefully) be checking all the other wiring today, and if I can't find anything else, I suspect it's probably the ignitor.

During the summer I was having some electrical problems which I was never able to pin down, and they seemed like they might be coming from the ignitor, but I didn't want to replace it ($$!!) unless I was sure.