22RE idle drop

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So basically I have the classic "idle drop" problem with my 22RE. At an idle with the brake applied the ecu stops delivering fuel to the engine thus making the engine rev then drop--up and down--up and down--up and down (get all that?) until I release the brake and start moving again. This is because there is no reason to deliver fuel when you’re trying to stop--makes sense I guess. To fix this problem I have to supposedly lower my idle to at least 950rpm's or better yet adjust it to the Toyota recommended 750rpms at an idle :eek:

My question: Has anyone at our general mountain altitude successfully lowered their rpm's past 1000 without causing the engine to run poorly? If so what's the secret? Is their another way to fix this problem? Am I on the right track? Mabey it's just me, but I don't think I've ever seen a 20R/22R/22RE idle smoothly under 1100ish RPM's... :rolleyes: Thanks for any input,

Andrew

ihscout2

Double check that there is no vacuum leak in or near the brake booster (would be accentuated during braking+idle) and check the adjustment and function of both the throttle position sensor and airflow meter. I'll bet your TPS adjustment is off. Good luck!

Paul

My 22re idles smooth down to 600 rpm's:D On Pirate4x4 in the toyota FAQ I think there is a bit of info on the fluctuating idle.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks for the quick reply's! :)

I have been reading about it over on Pirate for awhile now, and have determined that it has to be the common problem being that the Idle is too high and the computer shuts off fuel delivery when the brake is pressed. I have fiddled with it and now have it running very smooth at about 1000 RPM's so going down 50 more shouldn't be too far out of reach, and supposibly 950RPM's or lower is key. I've had my old 20R lug down to around 400RPM's and recover, but trying to get one to idle smoothly under 1000 has been a chore for me in the past, but I don't claim to be an expert either. Still very open to suggestion thanks,

Andrew

BTW it has only done this a few times so mabey I'll try and ignore it :sick: :rolleyes::rofl:....