Toyota 22re? Not as cool as people say?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
My 3VZE's coolant hoses ruptured and had me blowing steam out the hood during lunch one day. When I got under the hood to check out the damage, I took the hoses off and they reminded me of rigor mortis. The hoses were all ballooned around the clamps and they felt like foam with the firmness of a balloon, they were pretty ridiculous.

I'm glad that's one less problem I've to worry about now that I've replaced them, but damn, they were terrible.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Cool stories! That's cool you sold a truck at 115 and found it again at 250! With some of this in mind I'm going to be getting my stock 91, I mentioned in the first post, ready for crawlfest, in the next couple days. It's going to be my own version of top gears "you cAnt kill a Toyota" but instead of using what some might argue as the strongest toyota pick up ever made (they used an 84 diesel hilux with a solid axle) I'll be using arguably a weaker Toyota, a 91 Ifs gas 22re. It will be mostly stock and it will get pushed to the limits in st George

ricsrx

Maybe its the application, Toyota 22rs are every where, Hey my 2.0 pinto motor in my sand car has taken a beating and still going, but i don't see any pinto's around any more....

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
It is largly in the hands of the owner/operatorn of the car but, some people can make any engine last 200,000. Theres a difference though, toyotas get to 200,000 and keep going mostly fine, others get there and colapse on the ground

Bart

I think that 80% of the 22re's are still alive today, no matter how many miles. I think if you did the research you'd find that the only ones that aren't still running were built early on Monday mornings or late on Friday afternoons. I dare you to dispute those facts.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
I think if you did the research you'd find that the only ones that aren't still running were built early on Monday mornings or late on Friday afternoons. I dare you to dispute those facts.

Haha I talked to a guy that used to work in detroit at dodge, he used to say the same thing!:rofl:

The Stranger

Stranger Danger
I'm a fan of the 22re. I've had two original motors go past the 240k mark when I sold the vehicles. My good friends was replaced at 230k, and my brother's lasted until 225k, and it only died because he allowed it to run out of oil (it has a leak that he was too lazy to fix). All of these vehicles had solid axles with 35"+ tires on them and were heeled often.

I now have a SAS'd Tacoma with the 5VZFE and I hope it proves to be as reliable as the 22re.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Cool stories! That's cool you sold a truck at 115 and found it again at 250!

Thats only part of the story. I grew up in Idaho and found it down here at the walmart in west valley. I parked my tacoma I currently have and took a few pictures. The guy came out of walmart and I talked to him about it. Even funnier is I stilled carried a key for it (my first truck) and gave it to him as a spare.

iamsparticus

Thats only part of the story. I grew up in Idaho and found it down here at the walmart in west valley. I parked my tacoma I currently have and took a few pictures. The guy came out of walmart and I talked to him about it. Even funnier is I stilled carried a key for it (my first truck) and gave it to him as a spare.

Thats cool;)

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
^^^Haha thats funny! My 22r has 218000 and still goin strong. I did have to replace timing chain guides and the head gasket but thats not to bad:D I recently purchased an 86 runner 22re with 220000 that needs timing guides and/or head gasket so we'll see how that one runs soon!:)

DewYota

I didnt do the rebuild on my 3.0 but my buddy paid a shop to. Its in a 92 stock singlecab pickup 4x4 with a 5sp. I only wheel it on rare occasion, because i have my 96 runner that i wheel. But sometimes i have to take it out, like i will be on the 31st to snakes.

That being said, its got only 3000 more miles to go till i hit 300,000 miles.

I dont know if it had a rebuild earlier in its life before my friend had it rebuilt but its still going strong.

iamsparticus

power to the 3.0 mine has about 220,000 alomost, not 100% sure because of oversized tires messing with the speedo, but it is still running strong and it is a daily driver and a hard wheeler

Never had a rebuild just a PS pump and maintianence

DewYota

awesome, and ive had my fair share of yotas. dont ask how but ive had 6 and im 21 but yeah i wont go with anything else. Definatly some quality there im pretty hard on them and i agree i think a lot of people are lazy when it comes to maintenance, ive heard people forgetting to change their oil for a year. thats nuts for a motor to take that...

4Runner

ya they go for a year with out changing the oil and they still last 200,000 plus miles. and who knows how long they go with out a proper tune up not just spark plugs but a full tune up.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
Mine has the ol auto-matic oil change feature where I just have to add:rofl: No but really I still try and change it often. Also you can run a Ford 460 oil filter that holds more oil in it and filters better. (a trick I learned from Rot Box:D)

iamsparticus

My father-in-law had me do some work on his 1992 pickup and he had not changed the oil in 7 years!!! He had only driven it about 5000 miles in those years but still thats old oil, after he got his tundra he just didnt use it much, now after i tuned it up last year he drives it all the time for work