Toyota 22rte pickup rear spool??

zachvu

I have an 87 Toy Pickup and am wanting to lock the rear and was going to go with a full spool. From what I've found, "V6 and turbo applications used stronger third member with larger bearings and bigger third member"

Does this mean I should order the spool that is designed for the V6 application??

I emailed a few of the companies that had them for sale but haven't heard anything back so feedback from the yota guys would be much appreciated!!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If yours is a turbo truck (the RTE you mention) then it should have the V6/Turbo rear third member. If you want to post pictures of yours, then we can verify it really is--since sometimes these things don't have what they're supposed to have. :)

If you have the third member out, pics looking both inside and out would be best. Otherwise, just a pic looking at the third member should be enough, since the ribbing is different between the 4cyl and V6 thirds.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
How built up is your truck? Trail only? If you drive on the street you may want to spend a few more bucks and look into a LocRight or Aussie (assuming Aussie offers one now) Locker. These lockers used in the v6/Turbo truck 4 pin differential are about as good as it gets strength wise...

zachvu

How built up is your truck? Trail only? If you drive on the street you may want to spend a few more bucks and look into a LocRight or Aussie (assuming Aussie offers one now) Locker. These lockers used in the v6/Turbo truck 4 pin differential are about as good as it gets strength wise...

I don't drive it on the street much, it's mostly stock (33's and a 2 inch lift) but am aiming towards building it up to be a decent rig. I just figured since it wasn't going to be on the street much more than to or from the trail I could spool the rear for now since it's cheap and put an aussie on the front later on (maybe after SAS) I'll try and get some pics up so I can get that ordered...unless you guys think that I'd be better going another route?

mikeytheboarder

Zach Vu the one dating Michelle? Small world I met you like a year ago while I was dating Lindsey. Anyway if your doing a spool you might as well just weld it up, cheaper and has about the same outcome.

zachvu

Zach Vu the one dating Michelle? Small world I met you like a year ago while I was dating Lindsey. Anyway if your doing a spool you might as well just weld it up, cheaper and has about the same outcome.

haha ya that's me! I thought about welding it, but from reading around on some of the forums people were saying that if the welds weren't hot enough they would snap and potentially break other parts? I don't know how accurate this is? Anyway we only have a 110v flux core welder down in St. George, would that be strong enough to get it to hold?

Max Power

Bryce
It should use the same spool that the v6 housing uses. Is this a stock rte engine or did someone swap it in? I love the sound of a good turbo.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
It'll hold up just fine welded. Ya its more risky and can break the welds free but I've seen welded rear ends last a long time. Just make sure its welded thorough and get some good penetration. But IMO I'd just spend the dough for the cheapie locker (lockrite, aussie):D Worth it in the end.

zachvu

Kk thanks for all the input guys!

And it's a totally stock 87 rte, motor, tranny, and all! My uncle bought it back in the day and it sat for the last 10 years so he gave it to me way cheap with just over 100k on it :)

zachvu

I'm leaning towards the spool option....how difficult is the install on this?? I can't seem to really find any instructions or write-ups on full spool installs??

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you're keeping the same gears: Measure the backlash between the gears, so you can set it the same after you put them back in--then remove the carrier. Press the bearings off your old carrier and press them on the spool, unbolt the ring gear and bolt it on the spool, reinstall your new spool and use the adjuster nuts to set the backlash to the same as it was before (probably something between .008-.0012) when the preload is where it needs to be. A good target is somewhere around 70 lb-ft on the adjuster nut.

Although this is easier than doing a full gear install, I'd still recommend letting someone with experience do it. It's not hard to screw up a set of gears and force you to spend more money.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
Another good thing to check while your in there is if your crush sleeve on the pinion is, well crushed:) Mine were all bad on my truck so I installed crush sleeve eliminators. Now I don't worry about it;) Just a thought.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I would still go with a lockright or aussie, spools are over rated, weld it if you want a spool, the 110v will do just fine, crank it up and weld some good fat welds, i weld 1/4 steel with mine all the time

zachvu

anyone here welded one from a V6 before? On other forums I seem to be getting mixed feelings on how difficult it is to do due to spacing in the carrier??

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Dude....I thought you ordered your spool?? Just go with that and I will help you throw it in. Shouldn't be a big deal and we can get all the stuff from my work :)

zachvu

I was going to but I don't know if I want to spend the money on it now when I can just weld it.... IDK I'm stuck in the airport and prob sleeping here so I'll do a little online shopping, maybe I'll see if I can find someone's pre-welded one for cheap?

zachvu

k lets just do it... worse comes to worse it turns out horrible and we find one from the junk yard and try again! If I ever leave the damn airport and make it home we can do it! I got my lift too so lets just do it all at once!