231 shift linkage?

Fester

Okay so I bought a POS Wrangler with all sorts of problems, one of which was for some reason the Tcase wouldn't shift. So I crawl under it today, pull the skid, and it appears that the linkage is wrong. The case is a 231, but the lever that mounts to the case and then to the shift arm is stamped 233. It is the lever with the rectangular hole to match the Tcase. Is this lever meant for a different case? A 233 :confused: I found a couple of other wranglers in town and looked at them to see how things should look. I can't get the lever in the position that I think it should be because the rectangular hole is indexed wrong....? I -think- the lever should be up and towards the rear when in 2wd..?

Fester

chadschoon said:
mine is towords the rear when in 2wd

Thats what I thought, but when I try to put it that way the indexing of the shaft either won't allow it (the lever would be hitting the case) or the lever would be like this _ instead of like this |. So I'm guessing either the lever is wrong or else the shaft coming out of the case has been changed.....is that even possible?

Fester

:mad2: Okay so either I'm retarded or else I have the wrong arm (pic of my arm attached). The other YJ's that I looked at had the shift arm upwards (as shown by my sketching). But I've found a couple of schematics that show this arm going down. When I try to put mine on facing down the driveline would hit it....? I think that when the shaft is turned fully clockwise (when looking at the drivers side) I am in 2wd? The Heep is immobile so I'm not real sure but the front driveshaft is free. Then when I turn it counter clock it shifts into 4 high, nuetral, then low? If this is the case then I think that this arm needs to be pointing up to match the shift pattern on the shifter?

Attachments

• shift arm.JPG
    shift arm.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 231.JPG
    231.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 3