Dodge 231 t-case help

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
I have a friend that has a Dodge Dakota. It was making a funny noise for a couple weeks. She took it to the shop and the drain plug to the t-case was gone. No fluid at all. The chain was so loose that it wore 2 huge holes in the case. I've never seen anything like it. I can't believe it didn't blow to pieces on the freeway!

Anyway does anyone know if the Jeep 231's are compatible? And what years would work for a 2000 Dodge Dakota, 4.7 V8 engine, and auto trans?

Chevycrew

I use car-part.com

It appears that All Truck has 2 at $240 each.

It also seems that the t-case is application and year specific.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
call the guys at the 4 wheel drive shop at 6 states in orem and ask them if they are the same or what other applications will work. They will know. Then if chevy will work I have a few.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
I'm guessing..but only guessing that all 231's are the same with the exception of the spline count and input shaft length. If you can count yours and figure out what you have then it will be easy to find another. Just a guess though, not positive on that one.

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
I did a little research and they said it had to come out of another 2000 Dodge. I'm not sure what was different this year. I don't think I'd want to use anything out of the old one since it's been driven around at freeway speeds for a couple weeks without any oil. I'll try to get a pic up so you can see the damage. The chain is just dangling out the bottom and side of the case where it wore through the case.

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
You can see where the drain plug was. It went MIA causing the problem. The chain has tons of slop in it now. You can wiggle it on the gears. I can only imagine what it looked and sounded like as she drove 75 mph+ down the freeway like this.

RNandKT

If the Chick Digs it ....
Actually nearly any dodge Dakota or Durango from 98-03 will fit (and some Dodge Ram's, but you have to change the front yokes on these I believe to use them). You can't use a Jeep case though, the output shaft on the Rango's and Kota's are larger. It is actually an NP231HD (Heavy Duty), the Jeep case would bolt to your transmission, but the rear driveline would not fit the t-case output. Not to mention the Jeep has the speedometer gear in the case, whereas the Rango's and Kota's do not (there is a VSS sensor on the rear pumpkin).

But you have to be careful, as some came with the 231, some with 241, and some with 249. Your best bet is as stated above, go to Car-Part.com and look up whats available in local yards (and subsequently what fits).

Nice carnage BTW.