Archived 24 Hours De Le'Moab

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
So I'm sure thanks to Meat, a lot of you may have heard the story, So I'll put out some details on my 26 hour trip to Moab last week.

It started off great, left about 2:00pm on Weds, We had an ol' fashion convoy. I was driving the Motorhome, two truck with rigs on trailors, and my buddy driving a tow truck we rented hauling 3 rigs.

With the tow truck being a commercial vehicle, and over weight, we decided to take the long away around to bypass the port of entry. Went through Nephi to Salina to jump on I-70. Was a little slow, but made it to I-70 by 4:30 and that includes fuel stops.

Now the fun part begins.

About 10 miles up I-70, the tow truck begins to overheat. We let it cool down, and top off the water. Another 5 miles, repeat, another 5 miles, repeat, another 3 miles, repeat.

(This is the part where I tell you that the tow truck is a 90's model chev 3500, with a 454 converted to diesel)

Finally, after about an 3 hours of this, I unload my dads Bronco to lighten the load, and send the two trucks and my wife in the motorhome on ahead to moab.

Unfortunately, lightening the load didn't help, by this time we realized that the tow truck has a blow head gasket, figured it out after I had dumped about 40 gallons of water into the radiator in 30 miles.

The truck was getting low on fuel, and we were out of water, So we piled in the bronco and drove the 50 miles into Green River to restock. ( A side note, do not buy a gas can in Green River, $30. )
It was about 1:00am by the time we got there so I called a real tow truck to see how much to have our stuff hauled to town, $600-$700. Screw that idea.

We got back to the truck about 2:00am, and guess what, the batteries were dead. So after trying to jump it for about a half hour with no success, we unloaded the explorer and left the tow truck and my rig on the side of the freeway. We rolled into moab at 4:00am.

Next morning, left my sisters about 8:00ish, got out to the truck and realized I forgot the keys to my rig so I couldn't unload it and lighten things up. Hooked a strap up to my brothers 04 Dodge Cummins and was surprised it was able to tow everything up the hills faster. So things are going smooth, trucks going up the hills fine, and we are getting closer to Moab. Woo Hoo.

Except for the 10 miles of 6% grades, down hill. We stop, check the brakes, everythings good, but they got a little hot right as we got back to the level ground. By a little hot, I mean they melted the abs wires, and melted the valve stems out of both front tires. Yep, 2 flats.

No biggie, we'll just put on the spares. Right. Nothing else has been going right, why would we be able to just throw on a couple spare tires and be on our way.

Luckily my buddy brought the cordless impacts, because none of the lug wrenches on the truck fit. Next, to jack it up, oh wait, none of the jacks work either. finally, we were able to get a 1930's bottle jack to work, and with the help of blocks, we finally get it up. Put the spare on, lower the jack, and yeah, the spare has about 4lbs of air in it.

So, we unhook the trailer to get the weight off the truck and steal one of the duals and put it on the front, and put one of the trailor spares on the other side. So now the truck will roll, but no brakes.

Thanks to Meat, he gets a hold of Tim Rassmussen who comes out with his Dodge and hooks on to the trailer and we leave the tow truck on the side of the freeway. We finally get to go to moab.

Just to recap, left Pleasant Grove at 2:00pm wednesday afternoon, finally arrive at Moab for good at 4:30pm thursday afternoon.

Thanks to Meat for making calls, Tim for rescuing us, and Nick (schaferNsons) for going with me to help rescue my rig. Big thanks to my little brother for being a great brother.

Meat_

Banned
You'll defiantly remember EJS '09 ;)

I hadn't told many people...

Thank you for grabbing the axle shaft from Marc so I didn't have to give up a day in Moab :D

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Its all good, the week was great, just got home tonight. Was very happy with my rig since this was the first time it was on trails with working 4 wheel drive. The only time I had to get strapped up an obsticle was with my only breakage when the fuel pump died on Gold Bar Rim, slapped on the electric and away we went.

The good thing is, I had to leave my rig in Moab at my sisters house, anyone up for another trip in a couple weeks?

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Its funny how that happens with Moab trips.

They either go really smooth or REALLY REALLY bad.

I have had plenty of both.

My buddies had 5 really bad trips in a row. Blown motor on tow rig, blown tranny on tow rig, plenty of trailer problems and their last trip they rolled their Toyota and it burned to the ground.

They just got out of wheeling afterwards

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Wow great story..

So what ever came about with the rental people? What have they said about the rig?

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
It wasn't actually a rental. It was the guy that tows for my shop letting me use his truck and trailer for a small fee. He knew that the truck had issues (which he didn't bother to tell me about till after) He wasn't surprised that the motor went.

Sorry Bart, I was looking around for you too. We didn't really hang out in town, my sister lives down by the old airport and we spent most of our time off the trail there.

We still had a great time, we did Fins on friday night. Seven Mile Rim Saturday, and Gold Bar Rim on Sunday.

So as far as the recovery trip goes, I'm thinking the first weekend in May, Since I have to work the weekend of the 25th, and this weekend is too soon. If we can get a few people wanting to head down, we'll make a weekend of it and hit a couple trails. Just let me know so we can make some plans.

Ford Prefect

I would love to go down again, I had a blast. The only problem, man that CJ is not the most fun ride for three hours!

I might be able to convince my wife to let me go again though. If we have the cash for it...

lewis

Fight Till You Die
ahh 2 years ago I had a similar experience. Got to the port right before price and had to leave the trailer and drive back to salt lake to meet my bro. that brought us another tow rig from idaho that he had to get out of bed in the middl eof the night to weld a hitch on it. Made the switch and made it in to moab 16 hours after leaving. It was so much fun I sold my rig to buy one i can just drive there and haven't been back since. Yet.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
how do you convert a 454 to diesel??? :D

if you need company on the return trip I am still not working and always jonesing for a Moab run. :D :D

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
how do you convert a 454 to diesel??? :D

if you need company on the return trip I am still not working and always jonesing for a Moab run. :D :D

I don't know how they did it. I know if you google it you can find all the details. Really a dumb idea. No power at all.

You're always welcome to tag along. I started another thread to see how many peeps were interested in headin down. I will keep the details updated on that thread.