24v Cummins exhaust

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
My old '99 was straight piped with factory 3" tubing... that was LOUD! :eek: Sounded cool, but was way too much. It resonated in the cab real bad at freeway speeds & was generally annoying.

The '98 had 4" exhaust with an Aero Exhaust Turbine muffler that had a built-in resonator. I had a 5" tip installed too. You heard it in Moab over Memorial Weekend... it sounded great, wasn't overly loud & didn't resonate at all. I probably could have done w/o the 5" tip and it would have been quieter, but I like making noise. :greg:

The new '03 has 5" of some unknown brand ( probably Diesel Dynamics, since the truck has those stickers all over it :rolleyes: .) It's throaty, gets noisy under throttle and has a bit of resonating around 80 MPH. I've been thinking about going back to 4" on the new truck & getting another Aero Turbine, I liked that muffler. As quiet as this truck is, I'd like to leave it that way. No 5" tip next time.

Meat_

Banned
I had thought about removing my muffler but leaving the resonator and replacing it with a straight pipe. But all of the places where mounts are welded on or where the clamps are have started to rust so it won't be long before I have holes. Plus it looks like I'll be Juiceing it so it would be better if I had a 4" on it. I'm leaning towards stainless....

As for the new motors, whatever exhaust is on Timp's is exactly the one I'd get. /me likesesis it

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I had thought about removing my muffler but leaving the resonator and replacing it with a straight pipe. But all of the places where mounts are welded on or where the clamps are have started to rust so it won't be long before I have holes. Plus it looks like I'll be Juiceing it so it would be better if I had a 4" on it. I'm leaning towards stainless....

As for the new motors, whatever exhaust is on Timp's is exactly the one I'd get. /me likesesis it

Yeah, might as well put on what you want. Especially with the Edge Juice with Attitude. The 4" exhaust is plenty, stainless would be nice. That Cummins will run like a different motor, it'll make you smile every time you drive it.

Where's Timp, I'd like to hear what he's running?!

BrockSampson

I put a MBRP 4" exhaust on my '01 about 3 months ago. There is almost no noise inside the cab. The only time you can hear it in the cab is when you are accelerating quickly while pulling a load. Once you get to speed, you can't hear it. I would recommend it.

jrussell3176

It's pretty sweet how the newer 3rd gens come with 4" from the turbo back! I'm running the stock 4" exhaust with the muffler removed. With the cat and Mega Cab resonator still in place it has absolutely no drone on the highway when towing. Not too loud, just a little deeper/louder than stock. Sounds just right to me. You could probably pick up a stock 4" system for nothing since so many people upgrade the exhaust right away.

FWIW 4" is enough to easily support 500hp.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I picked up a 4" turbo back exhaust w/ a no-name muffler from Greg last week. I'll probably be installing it this weekend or the next. I'll report back with any conclusions.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
OK, so far I've been driving it for almost 3 days... I love it! The sound is really nice but best of all my temps are down. EGT's are about ~200* lower most of the time. It will still get up high (WOT uphill) but it takes longer to get there and the temp drops faster after drop off the throttle.

Turbo spool up does seem faster, and throttle response seems quicker. Could be in my head though... but after seeing the stock exhaust on the ground next to the 4", I'll believe anything. The stock system is really restrictive.

A 4" exhaust is probably the first thing I'd do if I ever got another CTD.

Meat_

Banned
Just a heads up. There is a new FASS pump only system on ksl for $400. It seems I always miss out on deals like this.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=1587338&cat=&lpid=

Hey Meat, what pressures you runnin with your fass. I got 13psi at idle and 10psi at wot. Seems a bit low from what I've read on the web, just wondering.

edit: dammit, wrong thread

sigh... that would have saved me about $70....

Idle is 15~16 I've only ever had my chip on 3 and the lowest I've actually seen the psi drop is 10, although the tattletale in the Attitude says that it hit 9psi once (pretty sure that happened when the tires broke loose in a corner and I hit 3209rpms :ugh: ). Most of the time it's 13~15 with normal driving.

sprungover

Cummins Exhaust

My 06 CTD has an Exhaust that Wide Open Performance put on. It is a 5" kit that has a resinator and no cat and it is very loud under acceleration but at speed and on the freeway it is close to stock sound. Zane said it was the off-road kit. I'm not sure what brand it is but I love it. Give him a call. It was around $750 installed and that shop is very very experienced.

Wide Open Performance
801-233-1111
Sandy

They are off 9400 South and the west side of I-15. New Shop.