24v Cummins lift pumps

Meat_

Banned
We all know they suck (err... don't suck), what have you guys done?

I'm looking at one of these and wondering where the gold encrusted diamonds are in these

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've also heard of some people putting in a 3rd pump to help supply the stock lift pump better and keep it cooler.

I'm currently looking into options as well... hopefully as preventative maintenance.

Meat_

Banned
.... hopefully as preventative maintenance.

Mine was one of the ones that had a bad pump from the factory :rolleyes: After it wouldn't fill the filter I took it in under warranty at about 60k. It was putting out 0.8lbs and like 0.5 gpm, they replaced it with another stock pos, I'm only at 90k now and I have a feeling that it's not doing anything again... it will get a gauge on it soon, and it will ultimately be replaced regardless. That F.A.S.S. sounds good, but for $640 I think I might make due with something less cool.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Mine was one of the ones that had a bad pump from the factory :rolleyes: After it wouldn't fill the filter I took it in under warranty at about 60k. It was putting out 0.8lbs and like 0.5 gpm, they replaced it with another stock pos, I'm only at 90k now and I have a feeling that it's not doing anything again... it will get a gauge on it soon, and it will ultimately be replaced regardless. That F.A.S.S. sounds good, but for $640 I think I might make due with something less cool.

The $640 FASS comes with a lot of extra bling including a better (faster, more efficient) filtration & water separation unit.

The cheaper one is just the bypass pump and installation kit. That's what I go with if I were to do the FASS route. There are other options out there though.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Here is the expensive FASS unit:

FASS01.png

FASS02.png

Meat_

Banned
The FASS (pump only) is a good pump, but the BD pump (which is a Carter pump) is also a good pump. For me the only reason to go the FASS route is to get the air out of the fuel.

From what I gather mounting the BD pump (or any pump) at or below the level of the fuel in the tank also removes a lot of the air.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I'd do the fass system, from what hear. Iwould check your lift pump gast as a bad one will burn out the actual injector pump, which if i remember right is about 1000,1100. 640 is cheaper then that;)

jrussell3176

The best aftermarket system, IMO, is Glacier Diesel Power's Walbro Kit.

It's a good idea to get the 2 micron filter too since the stock filter only goes down to 7-10 microns and the injectors have a 2mic tolerance level. I'm pretty sure the FASS system only filters to the stock levels.

Having said that, I just installed a Holley Blue pump inline with the stock in-tank pump to hold me over for a while. It performs great and gives about 25psi at idle and 14psi at WOT. The only downside to using the Holley is they don't usually last all that long when used in this type of application.

Meat_

Banned
I decided yesterday to go with the FASS with filter. Gillett Diesel has about the same price as anywhere online. They stock the nonfilter version but they have to order the filter version, they told me it only takes a couple days to get it in.

Hopefully I'll be ordering one next Monday

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
I put a fass on mine after going through 5 lift pumps and 1 injector pump. So far it's been able to keep up with the edge comp. :D

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
They were all stock replacements from Gillette Diesel, the only modification I had was an Edge EZ. I was replacing them about every 6 months, at least they were under warranty after the first one.

Meat_

Banned
I ended up buying the FASS pump only today so that I don't have to deal with the possibility of the filters gelling up back by the tank. I'm going to think about installing it tomorrow.....

Meat_

Banned
I put it on today. MAN did it make a difference. I guess that my stock pump was as bad off as I thought it was.

My truck has always been the loudest 24v motor I have ever been around, until today... it now sounds like every other 24v. I often wondered if it was loud because it was lean..... Oh and I saw smoke come out of my tail pipe for the first time in about 8 months.

The good news is, it still fires right up..... hard starting with a good lift pump is a sign that your IP has been damaged :ugh: