24v Cummins lift pumps

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Good to hear! I ordered the cheaper BD-Power bypass (basically just relocates a carter pump) I'm pretty sure my LP is dead if not close, however I haven't had any hard starts yet. Just really laggy throttle when I open it up on the hiway, and I had some throttle pulsing the other day.

That and the last time I changed my fuel filter I couldn't get the damn thing to prime for 2 hours. :eek: I hear that's usually the dead giveaway. Looking forward to installing the new pump. :)

Probably feels like you added a power chip, huh? :rofl:

Meat_

Banned
That and the last time I changed my fuel filter I couldn't get the damn thing to prime for 2 hours. :eek: I hear that's usually the dead giveaway. Looking forward to installing the new pump. :)
Yeah that's a dead give away, the last time I changed mine it took awhile but not as bad as yours. :eek: FYI when I had that problem years ago and they changed my lift pump under warranty it only took about 20min to prime it. That pump was tested at 5lbs and 0.8gpm.... you might be hosed on you injector pump.

The hard start I was talking about comes after you put a good pump on it, if the diaphragm was weakened or cracked from low pressure.
Probably feels like you added a power chip, huh? :rofl:

Yeah it actually did, but part of that came from the fact that I haven't driven anything with real power in over a month :rofl: (well, real power and an auto)

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yeah that's a dead give away, the last time I changed mine it took awhile but not as bad as yours. :eek: FYI when I had that problem years ago and they changed my lift pump under warranty it only took about 20min to prime it. That pump was tested at 5lbs and 0.8gpm.... you might be hosed on you injector pump.

The hard start I was talking about comes after you put a good pump on it, if the diaphragm was weakened or cracked from low pressure.

I haven't had any hard starts except after I change filters. I'm hoping my IP is going to be OK for a while. I haven't been driving it hard at all, knowing that my LP may be dead or close to it. The truck has plenty of power, even at WOT... So I don't really know if the original LP is very bad or not.

Luckily I was able to clear out the garage a little bit so I can fit the truck in it. If I have a hard time starting after the LP bypass, I'll be able to leave it in the garage for a while. Wish me luck. :-\

BrockSampson

I've had my FASS95/95 on for about two weeks, and I'm starting to have hard starting issues more and more. :( But only when its hot. The worst part is this will be my second IP. I did the first one over a year and a half ago. I'm kicking myself for not doing the FASS when I did the IP the first time. Oh well, its only money.....a lot of money.

Meat_

Banned
Every once in a while mine will take 3 full cranks to start..... doesn't have much ryhme or reason other than it's never on a cold start, but it does start fine warm most of the time. I was told years ago that I have a check valve that needs to be replaced, it holds pressure on the IP when you shut it off.... A dealer machanic told me it was bad, then he told me it was $44, and I told him it wasn't that bad.

Anyway, it acts kindof like when that would flare up before... generally that let me know it was time to run some Diesel Service through it, which would totally clean up the problem.... hasn't worked yet....

FYI there is a work around on the FASS (might work for the BD as well). On the FASS instead of running the main wire to the battery you run it to something that goes off with the starter.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've also been reading about the possibility of air getting into your systems with aftermarket pumps. Be sure to check over all your lines for leaks and such.

Meat_

Banned
I've also been reading about the possibility of air getting into your systems with aftermarket pumps. Be sure to check over all your lines for leaks and such.

Yeah I've checked mine at least eleventy times..... I don't trust the push lock fittings that came with the FASS (even though I can't pull the hose off of them) so I'm going to get some clamps on those.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Yeah I've checked mine at least eleventy times..... I don't trust the push lock fittings that came with the FASS (even though I can't pull the hose off of them) so I'm going to get some clamps on those.

If they are the same push lock fittings I think they are, they are good for like 250 psi or some crazy number like that. I use them with my air compressor hoses.

Meat_

Banned
If they are the same push lock fittings I think they are, they are good for like 250 psi or some crazy number like that. I use them with my air compressor hoses.

They probably are, in spite of the fact that I can't even pull the hose off of them, I'll never trust them.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Luckily I was able to clear out the garage a little bit so I can fit the truck in it. If I have a hard time starting after the LP bypass, I'll be able to leave it in the garage for a while. Wish me luck. :-\

Good news - The install went flawless. The truck started right up after priming and a little cranking while bleeding out the air at the IP.

It's like a new truck again. The power is back and I can finally feel it again when I open it up at hwy speed. I can't wait to tow again with it. I agree with you Meat_, It's like I just put in a programmer, I didn't realize I was missing so much. Throttle feels gooood.

Meat_

Banned
Good news - The install went flawless. The truck started right up after priming and a little cranking while bleeding out the air at the IP.

It's like a new truck again. The power is back and I can finally feel it again when I open it up at hwy speed. I can't wait to tow again with it. I agree with you Meat_, It's like I just put in a programmer, I didn't realize I was missing so much. Throttle feels gooood.

:cool: Just wait until you do put a chip in it :greg: I haven't tried 4 or 5, but 3 makes you giggle