2wd vs. 4wd

Ima9er

Crazy Man
ok so i have never owned a full size 2wd diesel pickup before, but im looking at purchasing an older 6.5L diesel (gmc) and just realized it was only 2wd. i'm worried about getting stuck somewhere towing my camper or jeep.. and am wondering if it would be worth the time and money/effort to convert it to a 4wd truck!
i would like to hear some input on converting it to 4wd, and also if it doesn't really matter what drive it is, so long as it will be mainly a tow rig,.. like i said before i have never owned a 2wd full size truck. should i buy it and not worry about it.

dirtydog

ok so i have never owned a full size 2wd diesel pickup before, but im looking at purchasing an older 6.5L diesel (gmc) and just realized it was only 2wd. i'm worried about getting stuck somewhere towing my camper or jeep.. and am wondering if it would be worth the time and money/effort to convert it to a 4wd truck!
i would like to hear some input on converting it to 4wd, and also if it doesn't really matter what drive it is, so long as it will be mainly a tow rig,.. like i said before i have never owned a 2wd full size truck. should i buy it and not worry about it.
A 2wd truck will tow as well as a 4wd.......unless you're towing where you actually need 4wd, then it will suck.
It is rarely cost-effective to try to convert from 2wd to 4wd. If you score the truck and the parts for the conversion cheap, and can do the work yourself, it could be reasonable. Otherwise, it's usually best to just look for a 4wd if that's what you want.
Personally, I'd never buy a 2wd truck......but I live in the snow belt and drive mine year-round.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm not sure I'd go with the 6.5L GM diesel. I'd do a LOT of research before you buy so you know what you are getting into. There was a group a while ago that had them running quite well, but I don't know what's involved in doing so.

As for the 4x4 vs. 4x2 thing, that depends. I've considered a few 2wd tow rigs, but use my 4x4 enough to justify it being a 4x4. I don't have a "driveway" where I store my trailers and I'm running across grass to get them. Especially this time of year when the ground is thawing out, it does WAY less damage to my lawn to pull the trailer out in 4x4 rather than dig trenches with the just the rear axle engaged. You could apply that to any trailhead situation or whatever towing situation in snow/inclement weather you'd like.

Ima9er

Crazy Man
I've considered a few 2wd tow rigs, but use my 4x4 enough to justify it being a 4x4. I don't have a "driveway" .
the older 6.5L detroit engines were very good engines, just under powered. i think they produce about 100ish horsepower, and around 400ish pounds of torque. ill be able to get to where im going, but wont exactly be the first one there. and i have a driveway that i park into so im not to worried about that, its just the trail heads/ mountains that i'm more worried about. so i found out that gmc has the wiring plug and the truck is all set up for 4wd, but not used, and the only reason why im looking at a 2wd is because its dirt cheap..

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I like the idea of the 4wd truck because of the extra weight up front from the drive axle. I believe the weight helps handling/steering while you're hooked to the trailer, and is an added bonus to the obvious benefits of a 4wd truck.

Ima9er

Crazy Man
most chevy/gmc trucks are "pre wired" so thats what i meant. i would still have to put in the transfercase, cv axles, drive line, and assuming a lot more, but hopefully not to much. my old truck was prewired for heated seats, but they didn't install actual heated seats, but the truck had the wiring for it and was just waiting on a switch, and seats. so thats what im meaning is it might be prewired for 4wd, and it just might not be also.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I don't think you are getting the answer you were hoping for ...

Basically this is Utah, if you are only going to be towing on dry roads and staying on Pavement 100% of the time you should be ok with a 4X2.. but really if you are going to be pulling into trailheads, nasty snowy roads etc you want 4X4, that is just the way it is.. And like everyone said the cost to swap to 4x4 wiring harness not withstanding can be prohibitive compared to getting 4x4 in the first place.. 6.5L.. yep it will be slow getting you anywhere. Just because it is dirt cheap doesn't mean it is going to do what you need 'well'.. I am sure they are selling it so dirt cheap because it is doing such a great job for them as a tow rig in Utah too :D

Chevycrew

My current beater tow rig is 2wd... You would be surprised how much better it does in the snow with the trailer than without.

Its pretty cheap to throw some chains in the back too. T

That being said, its for sale, and im keeping the 4x4 tow rig.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'm pretty sure he picked it up for a song from an 80 year old.
Needs a little cleaning outside, but it's cherry.
1995, 2wd, 3.73 gears, fr/rr bench seats. SF 14bolt

IMAG0091951300223800338-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
the only way i would run a 2wd tow rig is with a rear locker like a ARB. My Dad has a F250 long bed extended cab and a ARB , its 2wd and he tows crap all over on and off the road with no problems

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
personally i prefer a 4wd but that being said ive taken a 2wd tow truck places only a 4wd should be and did just fine. but it weighs alot more than your standard pickup.

if it were me i would just buy a 4wd model and be done with it

Ima9er

Crazy Man
thank you gravesdigger for showing a pic. that being said. i did pick it up, and the ONLY reason i got a 2wd truck is the price. without a job i could only afford so much, and i did look at other diesels that are 4wd, but they were beat to hell. other than stupid lil stuff inside the cab that is either broken or missing, it is mechanically and physically straight. and yes in the winter time it probably wont be the best out there, but when winter comes around ill push that shovel one foot at a time. i'm going to try towing 2 jeeps on a goosneck and see what problems i do or don't encounter, that will determin if i want to get better gears and a limited or locker in the rear.