2x12 subs

Anyone have a set of plans for building a sub box to put dual 12" subs behind the rear seat in a TJ? (IF YOU CANT FEEL IT-ITS NOT LOUD ENOUGH):rofl::rofl:. Got some ideas off the net but a set of plans would realy help.

gripguru

Nate Davidson
No, but I built a center console that houses a 12 and it is 2 cubic feet for a single 12. It sounds really good. I have also seen the designs where they put three 10s through the floor under the rear seat, just in front of the gas tank, does not take up any interior room.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
You could probably get better performance using that air space to build a box tuned specifically for one sub, rather than shoehorning two subs into a small airspace without regard for the dynamics of the specific speaker you are using.

and by "probably" I mean you can.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Cody - I know I missed this somewhere - buried users :rofl:

What? Me? I was trying to help :eek:. There are very few things in this world I'm above average at and Foosball and trash talking rarely come up as advisable subject matter around here so I don't get many opportunities to provide helpful advice.

I've seen a couple of these used and they sound pretty good...
http://www.audioenhancers.com/catalog_prod/JW170.htm

It does shelf off the floor so you get a couple extra db's (acoustic coupling), but I still think you can get better results by building/tuning a nice vented box to a nice single 10 or 12 sub. You could probably print out the thiele/smalls of a bunch of subs and figure out which one matches that box the best for the type of bass you want, but it would probably take about the same amount of time as building a box from scratch.

Of course, if you're going to go buy some sony amp or other cheap crap then it really doesn't matter much. Toss whatever you want back there and it'll make noises.

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
My point was that throwing a couple random subs in a random box isn't likely to get you great results..at least not as good as what they are capable of. I've seen a box with a single ten go louder than 4 12's in similar vehicles. The single ten was a well though out box (1/4 wavelength, standing wavelength, etc) and the 4 12's was some punk kid that thought more made it louder and had a western european metric **** ton of acoustic cancellation because of how it was set up.

But, on the other hand, it is going in an open top vehicle so with the top off you're working with an infinite airspace--no matter what you it'll be hard to get a ton of SPL out of it.

gripguru

Nate Davidson
My point was that throwing a couple random subs in a random box isn't likely to get you great results..at least not as good as what they are capable of. I've seen a box with a single ten go louder than 4 12's in similar vehicles. The single ten was a well though out box (1/4 wavelength, standing wavelength, etc) and the 4 12's was some punk kid that thought more made it louder and had a western european metric **** ton of acoustic cancellation because of how it was set up.

But, on the other hand, it is going in an open top vehicle so with the top off you're working with an infinite airspace--no matter what you it'll be hard to get a ton of SPL out of it.

Agreed on all accounts. The Sacramento guy makes you tell him your speaker before he builds a box. In my case, I never shot for maximum dB, just clarity and equal sound for all ranges (like you said, no noise cancellation) at all volume levels. I like one 12 in a sealed box, mine may be pretty random, but it sounds good enough for me. I get perfect clarity at all volume levels. I remember looking up all the stats on the particular 12 that I had (it was a JL audio prior to the "W" ratings, all paper, tiny magnet) and settling on 2 cubic feet of air in a sealed enclosure. Now I am shopping for a new sub for that box and have not found the ideal 12 yet. To be honest, I will probably never be as serious about any of this as I was when I built the box, and in hindsight, I was that punk kid, so I digress.