3.4l swap t/case questions

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I am swapping a 3.4l into a 88 4Runner that originally had a 22re. I think I have most everything worked out except t/case. I have read that the T100 case will swap straight onto the r150f trans if it’s from a 3.4l T100 (my trans is from a 3.4l Tacoma) I am hoping to use the Tacoma dual case adapters to run Tacoma trans - gear driven reduction case - T100 t/case to allow dual cases, 23 spline inputs, and passenger drop from a Tacoma trans. I need passenger drop as I have a FJ60 front axle. Anyone done this or have first handle knowledge of this?

Option 2 if the T100 case won’t work could I mount a fj80 case? Or fj60? I am running a FZJ 80 rear so the offset case wouldn’t be a problem.

If none of these work I’ll pony up for gear driven t/cases but would prefer T100 case.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The T100 case is the same one that came on the '88/'89 4Runners with the 3.0, which also used the R150 trans. It'll bolt right up to your Tacoma trans, and it's passenger drop to match the early IFS.

The last I heard, no one was making a case adapter to put any of the early chain drive cases behind a gear drive reduction case though?

OrangeSkidPlate

I wonder if calling trail gear (since my cases have trail gear adapters and I know you want them super bad) or maybe even Marlin and seeing if someone has done it that way?

gorillaxj

I wonder if calling trail gear (since my cases have trail gear adapters and I know you want them super bad) or maybe even Marlin and seeing if someone has done it that way?

I have emailed inchworm as there adapter states it works with the 95.5 + Tacoma , fj cruiser, tundra, 4Runner and T100. Waiting to hear back on those details. Might give TG a call. Even if I don't go with your setup I have 2 tacomas I need to know this Awnser for that we are solid swapping with FZJ80 axles and coils up front that the t100 case would simplify if it's bolt in.

gorillaxj

The T100 case is the same one that came on the '88/'89 4Runners with the 3.0, which also used the R150 trans. It'll bolt right up to your Tacoma trans, and it's passenger drop to match the early IFS.

The last I heard, no one was making a case adapter to put any of the early chain drive cases behind a gear drive reduction case though?

If the 3.4l t100 case bolts to my (Tacoma r150f) then the trailgear/marlin/inchworm adapters should allow r150f-gear drive case-chain case. Maybe the link I need is a early r150f tail housing or a 3.0l manual trans.

Unless the 3.4l t/case does infact fit.

Last edited:

gorillaxj

Well I talked to Marlin Crawler today and they said the T100 has only one T/case and it's the 3.0l pattern so it not possible based off of there information. That's probably the best Awnser without buying everything and seeing first hand. But I think if anyone would know they would so I'll take it. Thanks for the replys.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Maybe I'm simplifying this way too much but why not 3.4 -->tacoma transmission --> doubler --> your original 4runner case?

I've got a tacoma and I believe there is an adapter plate between the transmission and my doubler and then another between doubler to the original transfer case, why couldn't the second adapter be the one they put in all the pre-tacoma trucks?

gorillaxj

Maybe I'm simplifying this way too much but why not 3.4 -->tacoma transmission --> doubler --> your original 4runner case?

I've got a tacoma and I believe there is an adapter plate between the transmission and my doubler and then another between doubler to the original transfer case, why couldn't the second adapter be the one they put in all the pre-tacoma trucks?

Oh It can be. I am sure that’s what you have. You are 100% correct. I just make things complicated.

What started the whole idea is 2 Tacoma’s we are SAS’ing. One want duel cases (both gear drive cases) one wants shift on the fly 4wd hence the chain case and doesn’t want/need a doubler( both passenger side drop) Which is why I was looking into T100 t/cases. Found the Tacoma adapters from taco-gear driven-drivers side chain and thought if the T100s case is a bolt on swap for Tacoma r150f’s why wouldnt the adapters work... (lots of bad information that it swaps to Tacoma R150f as long as it’s from a 3.4l T100s)

Then I saw Orangeskidplates duels, crossmember driveline ect and thought I could have a doubler setup for a better price and swap the Tacoma case for a T100 case and save 600-800$ on preicing together a new setup. Which was appealingly. However it won’t work so gear driven doubler it is for me.

One taco is going gear drive as well, and we are thinking about swapping the early style r150f rear tail housing with the Tacoma trans r150f and mating the early style chain case to have shift on the fly passenger drop.

Clear as mud? Haha

gorillaxj

As far as the T100s case mating to the Tacoma (95.5+) Marlin crawler said it won’t as it’s the early pattern and not the newer r150f pattern.

Marlin crawler did tell me they have an adapter to go from gear driven reduction case to early style chain drive case. Which I also didn’t know...

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Well I talked to Marlin Crawler today and they said the T100 has only one T/case and it's the 3.0l pattern so it not possible based off of there information.

Consider me corrected. I didn't know there were different patterns for the R150 transfer cases.

gorillaxj

I didn't either. While I am clearing this up for the next guy here is the difference.

IMG_0054.JPG
"Early" r150f T/case 88-95

IMG_0055.JPG
"Later/Taco" R150f tail housing pattern.

I am starting to believe in the T100 it got the newer bell housing, longer Input shaft and upgraded clutch but left the tailhousing the same for the T100 transmission and kept using the same t/case. Hopefully it saves someone some time debating this.

Just to clarify this is for manuals, there is lots of info with autos but I don't know if that is possible or not.