3/4ton Axles mounted to stock Cj5 springs..too much?

Tallz

So I just scored a pair of axles out of a 76 chevy 3/4 ton. They are the big hub dana 44 and the 14 bolt, 4.11 gears. I am stoked that I finally have a pair of axles that are up to the job of running 35 inch + tires under my jeep. My question is...are these axles too much for my stock leaf springs? Will I need to upgrade before I hit the trails? If so, what is a good substitute for what I have now, on a tight budget?

ATOYA4U

Cheating is trying!!
Your cj springs would prob work for a little while but for an overall cheap substitute I would go with some yj springs. I have run them before and had good luck. Plus you can find stock springs for cheap and just do a spring over. Plus they will flex alot better than you CJ springs.JMHO....

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
YJ springs are 2.5" front and rear, cj's are 2" front and 2.5" rear.

Personally I think those axles are overkill for you, you should give me that front axle. HE HE HE.

Tallz

yeah sure, come over and get it. I spent two hours cutting it out of the other truck and loading into mine for you. Its your lucky day!!

cheepin

Don't waste your time putting that 14 bolt in with anything smaller then 37's.Then you will be pushing it on the D44 front.Why do you want to swap already?Doesn't your CJ have a D44 front already?12 bolt rear?I ran 36's for years on this same setup on a CJ-7.

Tallz

Don't waste your time putting that 14 bolt in with anything smaller then 37's.Then you will be pushing it on the D44 front.Why do you want to swap already?Doesn't your CJ have a D44 front already?12 bolt rear?I ran 36's for years on this same setup on a CJ-7.

No, after some more research on what axles my jeep had, it turns out I have 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear with 3.25 gearing. Not a good set for what I want use it for. For about $600 these axles would be a good deal. After spending about $200 for the 14 bolt and D44 with the right gearing I have a much more capable axle set up for a fraction of the price. I will most definately run bigger than 35's but not sure exactly what yet.

cheepin

10 bolt D44 are pretty much the same.Strength wise.$200 for the pair is a really good deal.Not saying don't use the 3/4ton stuff.Just with anything less then 37's the 14bolt becomes a plow.Spend a hr with a grinder and shave the lip off the 14bolt.This will give you about 1" of extra clearance.
Here's one I did.I have done 3 so far.The lip was cut off and ground SMOOOOTH.
jeepster004.jpg

Tallz

thats a great tip, could you send me some more pics of the bottom of the 14 bolt. Your picture is a little vague. Or a diagram of what you do would be helpful.