3" body lift

JaredMD

I know everyone hates the looks of body lifts but I want to know if with a 3" kit, does my gearshift lever inside lower 3". do I need to extend steering shafts? do these brackets usually come with the kit? does the kit usually come with everything I need? thanks

ShortShaft

user
Vendor
Spend your money on a good suspension lift. Body lifts do nothing but raise your center of gravity.

With a body lift the only thing you can do is run larger tires, but you get no additional suspension travel or anyting like that. It's not worth it in the long run if you plan on spending any time off road.

Yes your shifters will all lower by three inches. Don't know if new brackets are included in the kit. Whose body lift are you looking at? More than likely they will leave all of the shifter mods up to you to figure out.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
oh no, it looks bad? give me a break.
i have never had a vehicle with a frame (stupid xj) but if i did it would have a b-lift for sure.
it allows bigger tires/more room for articulation. it does not raise the drivetrain, only the tub... that is not much of a raise of cog! if you are planning on working on the tranny/tcase it is really nice to have all that extra room under there too. it also makes it easier to do boatsides because of the gained rocker clearance.
i say do it, you can get some lift lips if you care about the looks

ShortShaft

user
Vendor
xj_punk said:
it allows bigger tires/more room for articulation. ... that is not much of a raise of cog!

That is the thing though, it doesn't provide more articulation, only allows for more, meaning that you will have to work on your suspension (that usually means a lift)--- Hence raising your COG even more.

Vandall and RockMonkey are right on. 1" is about the best body lift to do. It will give you some extra room for drivetrain mods like a BellyUp or Atlas, etc.... but not so much that it looks ridiculous.

My .02c....

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
ShortShaft said:
That is the thing though, it doesn't provide more articulation, only allows for more, meaning that you will have to work on your suspension (that usually means a lift)--- Hence raising your COG even more.

Vandall and RockMonkey are right on. 1" is about the best body lift to do. It will give you some extra room for drivetrain mods like a BellyUp or Atlas, etc.... but not so much that it looks ridiculous.

My .02c....

can you read? i said it provides more ROOM for articulation!!!! rme should pay for hooked on phonics programs.

ShortShaft

user
Vendor
xj_punk said:
can you read? i said it provides more ROOM for articulation!!!! rme should pay for hooked on phonics programs.

I can read and that is why I stuck your junk in quotes...

I never said that it would equal more articulation- only allow for more- READ my post. Who can run 35" tires (the norm for most people) with a 3" body lift? No Jeep that I know of, so you are going to have to do a suspension lift. And Whamo! up goes the COG even more.

I think you should calm down a bit and allow other's opinions even though they don't match your's.

The guy was asking everyone's opinions, not just yours. If he had wanted just your's he probably would have PM'd you.

Just Chill Punk.

gtidrivr

ShortShaft said:
I can read and that is why I stuck your junk in quotes...

I never said that it would equal more articulation- only allow for more- READ my post. Who can run 35" tires (the norm for most people) with a 3" body lift? No Jeep that I know of, so you are going to have to do a suspension lift. And Whamo! up goes the COG even more.

I think you should calm down a bit and allow other's opinions even though they don't match your's.

The guy was asking everyone's opinions, not just yours. If he had wanted just your's he probably would have PM'd you.

Just Chill Punk.

YEAH, WHAT THE LITTLE GUY SAID! ;)

Brad J

My scout is like most with a couple busted body mounts. I had to repair the 2 center body mounts so why not put a 2" body lift on it at the same time. I did and love it. I went from 30x9.50 BFG All-terrains to brand new 33x12.5r15 MTR's and rubbed slightly when really twisted up in Moab last year (seen in aviator)since I didn't lower my bump stops. It took some getting used to the cosmetic differences (gap between body/bumpers and tub/frame) I had a new dual exhaust installed that would not have fit w/o the body lift. Working on it is so much easier, replacing starter, alternator, and topping off drivetrain fluids, even just going under the scout is now possible w/o jacking it up. I am planning on a SOA very soon so no regrets. Really the only complication is the steering column. 2" is just perfect and COG is not increased like it would be w/ a suspension lift. I would stay away from those cheap honeycomb style body lifts. I used some made from a heavy duty industrial cast nylon blend (farmers use it on thier seed rollers). I also used all grade 8 bolts

-Brad J.

Last edited:

JeeperG

I went with a ONE inch and am happy with it. It not only lifted me One inch it replaced the CRAPPY worn down stock mounts.

JeeperG

P.S. any YJ owners have broken mounts directly under there driver side seat?

BLH

jeeptjstud said:
I know everyone hates the looks of body lifts but I want to know if with a 3" kit, does my gearshift lever inside lower 3". do I need to extend steering shafts? do these brackets usually come with the kit? does the kit usually come with everything I need? thanks[/QUOTYes it will and there will be other problems also. I got a 2" on my Jeep, only reason I keep it, was cause it was on it when I bought it. I problably is fine if you are not using it to exterme. But I fighting with it now, rather It is better to take it off or get metal bend at local sheet metal place for my Rocker Panel guard that will protect the space between frame and Tub. So I would think about it before you go through trouble of doing body lift.

VANDALL

xj_punk said:

All advice .................so calm the fu*k down!!!!!!!!!!

VANDALL.