3 link /4 link questions

00harpdawg

So I'm getting ready to do a 4 link rear and 3 link front with pan hard on my yj but got a few questions. First off on the front upper link does it have to attach to the axle above the pumpkin? So example mines a drivers drop and most I see attach on the drivers side, can I attach the upper to the passenger side? Even with the trac bar mounting there too? Any advantages or dis advantages. Next question is I'm planning on doing 1.25 heims on the lowers. Should I do 1.25 on the uppers too or could I run 7/8 heims on the uppers. I'm sure this has been answered before but I can find it anywhere. This is my first time doing this and I'd rather do it right then wrong. Any other advice anyone has is greatly appreciated too.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Passenger-side upper is fine. 7/8" heims on the upper is also quite popular. I'd go with 3/4" bolts on the upper and keep them tight.

I have a 3-link like that but I used 7/8" heims all around because I have a little girly axle and 33's.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
7/8" would probably not break but I expect 1.25" would last a lot longer. If you do 7/8" at least get the spacers for 2 5/8" width. That way if you want to upgrade your brackets are compatible. I went with 2" and sort of regret it.

RockChucker

Here is how we did my pops a while back. upper link is on the passenger side. I also did a TJ with the upper on the pumpkin and helped do a ZJ with the upper on the pumpkin too. A lot of it depends on your packaging.

1993yj

Harper you are welcome to come look at mine whenever. I did the upper on the pass side because it was going to be so tight with the driveshaft. And I don't have to have an entire mount welded to the diff. Clearance up front gets tricky. My pan hard is 7/8 but everything else is 1.25 for longevity. Many pirate threads about the Ruff Stuff 1.25s being great and the smaller ones not so much.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I ran 7/8 on mine for years and never had an issue, most issues I see with people wearing out heims is the way they have there suspension set up. if set up correctly 7/8 should last a very very long time

UFAB

7/8 shank 3/4 ball heim with 3/4 to 5/8 misalignments. 2 in Mount width

One upper link is fine. Make a sturdy bracket. Truss over center section really helps keeping it from twisting axle tubes.

UFAB

Single upper link. Passenger side

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385479154499.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385479154499.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 27

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Truss over center section really helps keeping it from twisting axle tubes.

As I understand it, twisting axle tubes is the main reason for trying to get the upper link on the diff side. Just trying to isolate/control the torq...

Low gears, big sticky tires, big engines, and heavy right foots can lead to problems. :D

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I run mine on drivers side with trussed center section, not taking chances with 40's and lead foot, you have a smooth driving style you might get a way with pass side and truss.