3 tickets. :( What can we do?

metalry101

R/C addict
Alrighty, I've used the search feature to answer one of my questions, but I still have more.

My bro got 3 tickets yesterday on his way out of the state from an asshole cop. He was headed to Oregon for college in his YJ on 33's. People were flying by him left and right, and there were other lifted Jeeps and such on the road, but the cop decided to pull him over and write him 3 tickets. One was for mud-flaps. I've searched and it seems this is a legitimate ticket, as he has none. Is this a fix-it ticket, as in, fix it and it no fine, or does he have to pay the fine anyways? Next, he got a ticket for flares. He has TJ flares that cover about 60% of his tires. I'm under the impression that as long as 50% of the tread is covered, it's legal. If that's correct, the ticket is BS. Am I wrong in this? Do you have to have more of the tread covered than I am aware of? Lastly, he got a ticket for a cracked windshield. It literally cracked in the past week, and he's been getting ready for school and an 800 mile drive, so he hasn't had a chance to get it fixed. He told the officer this and the guy still wrote him a ticket. Same question as before about the fix-it ticket thing. Any idea how much time he has? He's in Oregon, and he can't just drive home to go to court over these tickets. He won't be home until Christmas. Is he screwed because a cop was having a bad day?

Note: I don't hate cops. I understand most cops are just doing their job trying to keep everyone safe, and by and large I think they do a great job, but this guy was a complete prick the entire time. I don't know if he was having a bad day or what, but he was an asshole the entire time. I know there are a lot of cops on this board, and I don't mean to say or imply that all cops are assholes, but this one was. I know my brother, and he didn't do anything to warrant this sort of hateful treatment. I can deal with the tickets, that's a cop trying to fill his quota or something, but the attitude that went with it was completely unacceptable. I've been ticketed 3 times for speeding, 2 times were just, once I got screwed, but all three times the cops were polite and respectful, as was I. This guy treated my brother like dogshit, and my brother did nothing to deserve it. He was polite and respectful, but the cop was not. That's why the description of the cop is what it is, not because I hate cops.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
First off, the Cop was not an ass, he was just doing his job. The U4WDA has spent a lot of time working with the UHP in changing the lift laws for US that is You and Me.
Mud Flaps are Mandatory
Fender Flares MUST cover the ENTIRE top portian of the wheel.
A crack in the windshield over 18" in lenth is Illegal.

Get them all fixed and the fine will be much less.

KToy

they are all fix it tickets in most states that i know of.

some states its the whole tires has to be under the flare and some its 75 % have to be.

but no more than 25 % in most states like utah.

I got pulled over the other day for about the same stuff. I got a 30 minute lecture on how my rig was illegal. He first pulled me over for a only one headlight(it was at night)...Then once he saw me up close he went off on a bunch of stuff. I have mud flaps, but apparently they're not big enough :rolleyes: He also said that I could have 2" of tire sticking out past my fenders and/or flares....And if you only count tread, I was legit. If you count the bulge of the sidewall, then i was past the 2".
Anyway, from my understanding you have to have the top 50% of the tire covered by the original vehicle wheel well or by extenders/mud flaps. I thought you had to have the entire top of the tire covered, but according to that police officer you can have 2" sticking out.
Not sure about the fix-it stuff.
Sorry you/your brother had a bad experience :(
Best of luck getting it all resolved :cool:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
metalry101 said:
Thank you.

According to that, the top 50% of the tires has to be covered. They are, so the flare ticket is BS, exactly as I thought.
You are missing the point. The Entire top half of the tire has to be covered. That is from the rear 50% all the way up and over to the front. Drive down to and inspection place and if the tire sticks out pass the fender, they will fail it. I just did this and my jeep only has 1 1/2" of tire hanging out.

metalry101

R/C addict
Alright, I know the laws now, that helps, but I still need to know what he can do about. As I've said, he's not home til Christmas, and he's not missing school to drive his 4 banger YJ 800 miles one-way to prove to a cop that the windshield and mud flaps offenses have been corrected. What can he do? Can he wait till he comes home?

As for the cop being an ass. If you'll read my statement again, I said he was an asshole because of his attitude, not because he gave my bro 3 tickets. I'm pissed about the tickets because of the timing, but that's just bad luck, not a bad cop. A bad cop is one who's disrespectful and downright RUDE to the people he's serving. There are times when cops are justified in being assholes, like when they're dealing with people resisting arrest or something such as that. My brother did no such thing, he simply sat in his Jeep while the guy examined it for things to write him up on. This cop was rude and disrespectful the entire time. When I got busted for 50 in a 35 the cop still said "Good Evening," and was pleasant with me. This guy didn't manage anything other than "Here are you tickets."

metalry101

R/C addict
Shawn said:
You are missing the point. The Entire top half of the tire has to be covered. That is from the rear 50% all the way up and over to the front. Drive down to and inspection place and if the tire sticks out pass the fender, they will fail it. I just did this and my jeep only has 1 1/2" of tire hanging out.
Damn the law is worded poorly. I understand what you're saying...but that's pretty poorly worded IMO. I'm looking for some extended flares for him right now.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
This is what I would do. When the ticket comes in the mail, have him call the court and see if he can take the jeep to the local cop shop and have them inspect it as per the requirements for Utah. Then see if the local shop will give him a signed form saying the items have been fixed and send the form to the SLC station.

Eh?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
metalry101 said:
Damn the law is worded poorly. I understand what you're saying...but that's pretty poorly worded IMO. I'm looking for some extended flares for him right now.
loop holes ;)

metalry101

R/C addict
Shawn said:
This is what I would do. When the ticket comes in the mail, have him call the court and see if he can take the jeep to the local cop shop and have them inspect it as per the requirements for Utah. Then see if the local shop will give him a signed form saying the items have been fixed and send the form to the SLC station.

Eh?
I'll tell him to try it. Thanks for your help. :)

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Shawn said:

Eh?

I'd be careful waiting for the ticket to come in the mail. The last two tickets I got (one was a fix-it, other vehicular trespass) neither was mailed to me. I had to contact the UHP office for the fix-it and the court for the other one. I thought I was waiting for something to come in the mail on the trespass, luckily my buddy clued me in to the fact that I had to call them, not the other way around...

grntaco

Is everything on his Jeep legal in Oregon and has Oregon plates? If it is can they give tickets to vehicles that pass everything in there own state even though it states in the code any vehicles on the highway in the state of Utah? It seems that they could not do it because you would have to check the laws of every state you drove through and comply to them all.

thenag

grntaco said:
Is everything on his Jeep legal in Oregon and has Oregon plates? If it is can they give tickets to vehicles that pass everything in there own state even though it states in the code any vehicles on the highway in the state of Utah? It seems that they could not do it because you would have to check the laws of every state you drove through and comply to them all.

I have wheeled with guys from oregan and aparently their cops our worse than utah's. they had mounted their mudflaps on square tube and slid the square tube on a nubin they put on the body, it was a nice quick release system. (it won't work for me since my rear bumper goes too far forward)

I am deeling with these issues since I am going to try to get my rig through utah inspection.

my truck is legal in New Mexico where i moved from, no saftey just loose emmisions. i am considering leaving it registered in NM but I want to be legal for some reason. I am really close I think it will squeek by with a new windsheild, fix the horn, fender flares and mud flaps. oh and they have to ignor that the 300-6 has been replaced with a 460. :)

yeah the cover the top 50% of the tire thing is worded bad, that is hight not width. if your tire is a clock 9:00-3:00 has to be covered and the entire width.

nathan
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=194

shortstraw8

I live in Spanish Fork and a fix it ticket lets you fix it then run to the cop shop and have them sign it off then you go in and show the clerk and she takes the ticket of of the records and then no fine unless pulled over w/no mud flaps again then it is 50 bucks but thats just from my experience.