35" tires on 8" wide rims.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
The height of the tire doesn't matter when considering the width. I'm assuming that's where you are talking about.... I wouldn't go any larger than 13.5" on an 8" rim. Comfortably more like 12.5" wide. And I wouldn't go any narrower than 9". Comfortably more like 10" wide.

If the tire is too wide, then you loose your tire width. If the tire is too narrow, then your chances of blowing a bead or dinging the rim is greater.

parks_pop

Most people run the 8 inch wheel if they are doing bead locks.
I would go with a 10 inch wheel with that size of tire. Not as much danger of blowing a bead.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
parks_pop said:
Most people run the 8 inch wheel if they are doing bead locks.
I would go with a 10 inch wheel with that size of tire. Not as much danger of blowing a bead.

I would run an 8" rim before a 10" for a 35/12.50 tire.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
WayneXJ said:
I would run an 8" rim before a 10" for a 35/12.50 tire.

That's my philosophy also. From one that ran the 10" wheels. I never lost a bead, but would have liked the 8" wheel better (might have even kept a few wheel weights on while wheeling)....

Caleb

rckcrlr said:
I run 38's on 8" rims.

I always prefer 8" wheels over 10" for wheeling....

yup, me too...I am running my 39.5s on 8s (well, they started out as 8s but I did beadlock them :D) I think a 12.5" tire on a 10" rim looks goofy...can you say balloon :p

Johnny4X4

I have always went with the 12.50's on 10 inchers. I have only 1 problem with trying to stuff them under the fenders of my jeep at full flex, but i also had to much tire for my lift. I upgraded the lift, now they stuff in there perfectly. and i run about 15 psi and havent lost a bead yet.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Supergper said:
yup, me too...I am running my 39.5s on 8s (well, they started out as 8s but I did beadlock them :D) I think a 12.5" tire on a 10" rim looks goofy...can you say balloon :p

so then you're running a 9.5" wheel if the beadlocks add about 1.5". Not much difference than a 10" wheel I think.

If you run your tires on the street, at street pressures, you should stick with the tire manufacturer's wheel width recommendation. For many 12.5" tires, the 10" rim width is the recommended size. When looking at tire specs, the overall width is listed 'as measured' on a specified rim width. That specified rim width is the recommended width.

However, most tire manufacturers will list an acceptable rim width range. I did some searching on 35" tire sizes, and most manufacturer's seem to list 8.5" - 11" as acceptable sizes.

I have run my 33x12.5R15 and 35x13.5R15 tires as low as 6psi without popping a bead. I run 10" wheel width.

hammerhead

Junkyard Dog
Was always smacking the 10" rims on rocks or stuffing dirt and weeds in the beads. Switched to 8" rims. Much better. More reliable. Saved the 10" rims to put my new 15.5 wide SXs on.

74highboy

i was looking at 14'' wide tires for my 8'' wide rims and i was told with that set up i could run 5psi in the tires and be just fine

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
hammerhead said:
Was always smacking the 10" rims on rocks or stuffing dirt and weeds in the beads. Switched to 8" rims. Much better. More reliable. Saved the 10" rims to put my new 15.5 wide SXs on.

That was EXACTLY my problem with them.

RKCRWLR

Ditto on using the 8s. I now run 10s. At low pressure I am getting sand, rock and weeds in the bead. Then i have got to stop, clean the bead and re-seat. I finally broke the bead cords on my Dunlops screwing around with them in the field. Got new tires now. Will be getting new wheels eventually (going back to 8s). Never had these issues with the 8s. Only advantage I have found with the 10s is a more square profile, which helps when floating in snow or sand.

gksspot

Had 10 inch rims with 35 12.50s and they eventually caught a bunch a crap in the bead area and would never seal properly again (was on one tire only), now I have 8 inch wide rims and they have been great, no problems.

12.50s and 8 inch wide rims seem to be the popular combo over at all the jeep forums.

Tiny

mmmm.....beefy!!!
Supergper said:

LOL, I have 12" wheels on my DD with 35x12.5, but thats all I had cuz I was runnin my 35.15.5 SX'x, yeah they look a little goofy, I definately wouldn't take them offroad. :p 12" wheels are a waste. I wish I would have learned that sooner.