35" tires on a WJ. Everyone says stay away form this setup.

addifan

Since I am still learning all this. Why would I be pushing it to run 35" tires on a WJ? I thought with re-gearing and upgrading my drivelines that I would be okay. Please edcucate me.

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Because it's a weak setup. 7.5" ring gear, 1.17" shaft diameter, 27 spline. :rolleyes: The Super35 will bump you to 30 spline, 1.31" shafts, better but still weak. A 35" tire is a lot of weight to be throwing around on a shaft of that size. I'm not sure I would even trust that set up on the street, unless you are underpowered.

8.8" vs. 35 Ring Gears
d35to8.8ringgear.jpg

35 vs. 8.8" Shafts and Spiders
d35to8.8spiderandshaft.jpg

Now, don't take this the wrong way 'cuz we're here to help ya, but do you really need to be running 35s and lockers if you're asking questions of this nature? That's a pretty big setup to be running if you're just getting into this. You're opening a huge can of worms to step up to this height, believe me I've been there. Don't try to go too big too fast, you'll regret it. :cool:

Last edited:

ShortShaft

user
Vendor
The Dana 35 axle shaft is held in with a c-clip. The axle shaft is what takes the power from the driveline and ring & pinion. because of the c-clip, and everything above noted by redrock the Dana 35 is not an axle to try to build up. Even if you are just planning on driving it around town, with 35s you have so much rotational weight that it will be putting tons of stress on the shafts eventually breaking.

Re-gearing and upgrading drive lines will do nothing for the quality of your axle. You still will be left with an axle that is not built up for what you need it to be.

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Originally posted by Mike_Lib
The Dana 35's that are found under WJ's are not C-clipped FWIW. :D

True, but still not good enough to polish the turd that is the Dana 35. Mike has twisted 35-spline 60-shafts, how well do you think stock 35 axles will hold up?

SSSSSSSnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaappppppppp, bang!

2002DUB

I am one of the people that is telling him to stay away from it. One of the main reasons other than the obvious weakness of the 35 I thought you couldn't get the 35 in the V8 only with the I6 which IMO is a waste of $$ would someone correct me if I am wrong