350 chev swap

utekrawler

How difficult is it to swap out an inline 6 for a 350 chev into a 1992 jeep wrangler yj? And would you put in a 350 with a throttle body if you got it for free, or would you just go find a fuel injected one?

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
That is probably one of the easier swaps. And for free the TBI sounds good.

Here is a little more info (I like their knowledge base)

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/yj_87_95_swap.htm

One more issue to concider. And I am asking as much here as anything. Can you pass Utah smog laws with a V8 in a YJ? From memory if you want to put in a V8 that model and year of vehicle has to have come with a factory V8. And the YJ was never offered with one.

So my question is this.... can you pass Utah emissions testing with a V8 in a YJ?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Ok a lot of questions,
First the swap, you will need in addition to what you are thinking
new radiator
new motor mounts
new adapter to whatever tranny you want to use
Your current tranny might not hold up to the power of the 350

second question
When say Throttle body do you mean throttle body injected? TBI? or Carborated?
Big difference, the way you asked makes me ask.

Third question
Where do you live? if you live along the wasatch front you will never get this thing inspected with out all of the original Smog equipment, and other "special considerations"
something to consider.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Good words above. I swapped in an '89 TBI 350 and 700R4. Not too bad of a swap and there's a few threads around addressing legality and whatnot. It can be legal, but you'll need a newer engine than the chassis and ALL of the original smog equipment swapped in.

It's worth it, but it's a pain.

If I had the inline 6, I might just leave it there, though.

I agree, its a nice swap, love all that power:) but there is a little to it. I agree with whom ever (sorry brain freeze) that said to be sure your tranny and other parts will take the abuse of a 350:), (including your axles).

also we had to put in a different fuel pump.

The throttle body inject. (TBI) works really well, we really enjoy our jeep. (89 yj with 350).

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
When you guys say "original" smog equipment, I'm assuming you mean original for the YJ and not the engine. Is that right?

I'm getting ready to make my 83 CJ Utah leagle. It has a 350 TPI. So all I need to do is make sure my emissions vacuum lines are right. As that's all there was. I know this thing runs cleaner then the old engine. I don't see how there could be problems.

mbryson

Supporting Member
When you guys say "original" smog equipment, I'm assuming you mean original for the YJ and not the engine. Is that right?

I'm getting ready to make my 83 CJ Utah leagle. It has a 350 TPI. So all I need to do is make sure my emissions vacuum lines are right. As that's all there was. I know this thing runs cleaner then the old engine. I don't see how there could be problems.

The stuff that came with the swapped in engine is technically what's supposed to be there. I spent a bit of time at the emissions station @ about Vine & 9th East and decided it wasn't worth the trouble and built a CJ instead of a YJ. That made things a lot easier. ;)

If you've got a cat, charcoal cannister (?-I'm not SUPER TPI familiar), and whatever else the Camaro/FireChicken/Vette had, you should be in good shape. Being an '83, you don't technically need the cat ('84 and up, if I remember right).

JackKeslerCustoms

Is there a way to have it re vin'd and take it to a Dmv inspection station to make it legal? If you can build a kit car from scratch, and make it street legal and get plates, there should be a way to make this happen. I'm shopping for drivetrains for the 89 YJ right now and I'm not hearing any of my I'M buddies tell me that I can swap a V-8 legally.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Taken from

http://www.slvhealth.org/eh/pdf/rg/Regulation22AHDEd.pdf

4.3.9. Engine Changes. Vehicles qualifying for testing under this part shall not be
eligible for a repair waiver.
(i) Vehicles model year 1968 to 1983 shall be tested according to the year of
the vehicle (regardless of the year of the engine) and may be tested at any
station.
(ii) If a 1984 and newer vehicle has an engine other than the original, the
vehicle owner must have the vehicle inspected by the Department and
must demonstrate to the Director that the emission control systems on that
engine are equally or more effective in controlling emissions as those
systems originally manufactured on the vehicle before a Certification of
Compliance is issued.
(iii) Kit cars must be inspected by the Department and may be inspected
according to the year of the engine provided that the owner can provide
appropriate documentation.

I don't claim to know the law or what you have to do to comply, but I could see it being a costly mistake if you don't figure it out before you make the swap. As I understand it you need to install an engine that is newer than the vehicle. The cylinder count maybe important (can't put an 8 cyl in if that year did not come with one, but not sure on that rule), and then it needs to pass the emissions standards of the engine including cats, smog pumps, etc.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Is there a way to have it re vin'd and take it to a Dmv inspection station to make it legal? If you can build a kit car from scratch, and make it street legal and get plates, there should be a way to make this happen. I'm shopping for drivetrains for the 89 YJ right now and I'm not hearing any of my I'M buddies tell me that I can swap a V-8 legally.

If you use a same year or newer engine than the chassis with all the smog parts from the engine donor, you should be good to go.

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=2316&highlight=swap+legal

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=5842&highlight=swap+legal

It would be wise to get some current info, though.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Taken from

http://www.slvhealth.org/eh/pdf/rg/Regulation22AHDEd.pdf

4.3.9. Engine Changes. Vehicles qualifying for testing under this part shall not be
eligible for a repair waiver.
(i) Vehicles model year 1968 to 1983 shall be tested according to the year of
the vehicle (regardless of the year of the engine) and may be tested at any
station.
(ii) If a 1984 and newer vehicle has an engine other than the original, the
vehicle owner must have the vehicle inspected by the Department and
must demonstrate to the Director that the emission control systems on that
engine are equally or more effective in controlling emissions as those
systems originally manufactured on the vehicle before a Certification of
Compliance is issued.
(iii) Kit cars must be inspected by the Department and may be inspected
according to the year of the engine provided that the owner can provide
appropriate documentation.

I don't claim to know the law or what you have to do to comply, but I could see it being a costly mistake if you don't figure it out before you make the swap. As I understand it you need to install an engine that is newer than the vehicle. The cylinder count maybe important (can't put an 8 cyl in if that year did not come with one, but not sure on that rule), and then it needs to pass the emissions standards of the engine including cats, smog pumps, etc.

Sounds like I got lucky when I bought my 83.

I think this could be simplified very easily. "It needs to run as clean or cleaner then stock."

I have all the stock smog junk that came in 83. However, I do not have the smog pump and junk that came with the TPI engine. But my engine is not my biggest worry. I have tons of safety parts that I need to address, such as modifying my comp corners, ebrake cables, defrost/heater, wipers and washer fliud....

Just think...I'm doing all this just so I can drive it on the streets, in the middle of winter with no top. :eek:

jdub

Scrambler
Call Hesco and get a stroker 4.6 they can probably get one to make the same horses as the SB and it will still be an inline longblock so that it will pass the visual test, and bolt up without adapters. I've gone through all these scenarios too and I think I want to take this direction when my 4.2 finally dies in my 85 scrambler.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Call Hesco and get a stroker 4.6 they can probably get one to make the same horses as the SB and it will still be an inline longblock so that it will pass the visual test, and bolt up without adapters. I've gone through all these scenarios too and I think I want to take this direction when my 4.2 finally dies in my 85 scrambler.

Those things cost some cheese. What's that run?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
And even if you did get more power out of the 6, the tranny behind it can't take it. Your t-case will be fine, however.

piecesnparts

I know this thread might be dead but just wanted to say, I was told the reason the CJ is easier to make legal is there were cj's with 8's there were no yj's had 8's. In box elder co they do not do emissions, do the same laws apply? Or do they just not test?

jdub

Scrambler
Going to the health department isn't too bad. My Mopar kit in my Scrambler is very clean but since it is a 85 I had to prove to the department that it is clean. They are the ultimate say, they give you a letter they signed to take to the i/m guys to go ahead and test.

Yeah Mbryson, I love the v8 in the jeep, working on the next one right now!
For the visual inspection the inline feels at home for the yearly test.