35s on Dana 44s

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Margarita said:
I am putting 35 MTRs on a 2004 Rubicon. I have read several articles that recommend upgrading the components that can fail under the additional stress of the larger diameter tires. These components include axles, drive shafts, and brakes. In addition, several of the authors recommend using lower gearing in the differentials, i.e. 5.13 or 5.38. Are these upgrades necessary? Can the stock Dana 44s on the Rubicon handle the additional stress of the 35s?

Depends on the terrain you wheel on and how aggressive you are with the throttle. I would not go lower than 4.88s in LP axles and recommend upgrading the shafts (stubs at a minimum). I have a D30/44 combo on 35s with alloy axles and can tell you (so can others on RME) I'm not easy on it. No problems yet.-Marcus

Bone Down

waynehartwig said:
I'll buy the front being the same as the D30 other than the center section, but I can't believe the rear is smaller.

I have two brand new empty D44 Rubicon housings on order to put in a TJ (Smittybilts show Jeep) to replace his D30/D35. When I get them I'll measure the housings and we (I) can then know for sure. Jeep said I should have them this time next week.

actually according to what was printed the rear is larger than the front f/44 rubi tubing 2 1/2 and the r/44 rubi is 2 5/8, so that is 1/8 inch thicker than the front, but still not the same as days of old.

Here is a link to the actual article

wildkid

...Jeepless...
With the Rubi's 4:1 t-case, you don't need to go so deep with your axle ratio, especially if you intend on keeping it streetable. If yours is an auto trans, 4.56s will do. If you have a manual, 4.88s are better.
I have a 99 TJ on 35s with the 4.0, 5-speed, tera 4:1 t-case and 4.56 gears & wish I had 4.88s in the axles.
HTH

Johnny4X4

I have just a plain old TJ dana 44 with 4:88's and a full detroit, i had no problems with my 35's and I have only had 1 broken axle with my 37's-- that was from a wedging situation-- i say run the 35's and the 4:88's for the power if your gonna really wheel it.