35's with 8" or 10" wheels (xj)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
my rule of thumb for tire width is to get a rim that is 4 inches slimmer than your tire width.

12.5, I run an 8" rim

14.5 swampers...10" rim.

some people disagree but I like my 8" rims!!

Caleb

Originally posted by spencurai
my rule of thumb for tire width is to get a rim that is 4 inches slimmer than your tire width.

12.5, I run an 8" rim

14.5 swampers...10" rim.

some people disagree but I like my 8" rims!!

I think that is a pretty good rule of thumb...one thing to add though is if you have beadlocks you caqn usually get away with running a little wider rim...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by spencurai

12.5, I run an 8" rim

agreed.........
I tend to lose the bead more easily with the 10". {Originally bought for 33" x 12.50 SSR}.......not desireable, IMHO..........It's not a big deal, but if I had it to do over again, I'd do the 8" wheel.....

I LOVED my 32 x 11.50 on a 7" wheel. I could air down to 8-10 and never worry about the bead.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Snowman
well I just got a 15x7.5 eight spoke steel wheel they are white

those rims are ideal for the DIY beadlocks because you pick up about an inch and a half to two inches when you weld on the ring for the DIY beadlock. you end up between 9 and 10 inches of rim width. I know rocklogic sells em and schwan just put some on his FJ not too long ago.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by Snowman
sounds sweet but I'm not a big fan of beadlock

Really? why not? Mine have saved me plenty of times... :D

I agree with the 4" narrower rule. I ran 36x12.5's on a 8" wheel which was perfect... But when I beadlocked my wheels (DIY) they now measure out to about 9.5" wide, running 38x12.5's. Which I feel is perfect width for beadlocks.

Snowman

Snowmen Do like the ROCKS
well I can't really talk because I never have tried them to tell you the truth but if i had the money I would like to try them but tell then I'm stuck with just stell

Caleb

Originally posted by utahxj
Are the beadlocks legal on the streets?

technically no, but I have not heard of anyone having any problems around here (except in Moab when the cops want to be dicks)

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
A shop wouldn't pass my bro's d-90 on emission and inspection because of his beadlocks...

I want them so bad.. I think they are sweet... My bro runs his at like 5 or 6 psi when he goes wheeling.