4.3 vortec fuel pump

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I need to replace the pump in the buggy. The wiring inside the pump fried and so I can just replace the pump. I have to replace the whole unit. I am looking to maybe do an inline pump instead. Most I am seeing are around 90 psi. I am wondering I the regulator on the engine will cut it back to the 50-60 recommended or if I need one that is that pressure?

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
The regulator will bring it down to where it needs to be. In line pumps are easier, but also much louder and tend to fail sooner. Go in tank if you can. If you mount it to the frame, insulate the pump as much as you can so the vibration wont make it to the frame. That will quiet it down a lot. I like Walbro pumps.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
yes it will I ran the summit brand inline electric one on my YJ and I have the same pump for my 4.3 in my buggy... I bought mine at parts plus in Tooele

mesha

By endurance we conquer
cool. I would do the replacement inline pump, but it is 350 bucks with the whole unit. If the wiring wasn't wrecked it would only be 100 and I would just go that way.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
We used a e2000 inline from autozone. $90-100. I am pretty sure that's the number. It's been a few years.

Worked great, we ran a 4.3 CPI out of a '98 s10

mesha

By endurance we conquer
We used a e2000 inline from autozone. $90-100. I am pretty sure that's the number. It's been a few years.

Worked great, we ran a 4.3 CPI out of a '98 s10

I was wondering if the e2000 would work.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
It's been a while, but I want to say the MPI was 94-95 and looked like I little lt1 and '96 and newer (thru 2002ish) was the CPI with the spyder that went to each cylinder.

I could easy easy be wrong though. It seems like B2 bomber is pretty versed on chevy engines maybe he can help get me straight. :)

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
And just because no one has mentioned it yet.

Put a good fuel filter inline too. It seems like I found one from a ford tarus that was designed to handle the volume and pressure.

Buy two and put the second one in your tool bag. :D

mesha

By endurance we conquer
And just because no one has mentioned it yet.

Put a good fuel filter inline too. It seems like I found one from a ford tarus that was designed to handle the volume and pressure.

Buy two and put the second one in your tool bag. :D

good idea!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
filter on each side of the inline pump and mount it somewhere it will get some air. Heat is what kills pumps.
I used a marine pump from napa that was spec'd for a 454. I was told they are designed to dissipate heat better because the application has them mounted inside a hull with no airflow.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The pump and filter are installed. Runs great and there is no noticeable noise.
I think I will buy a spare for the tool box.