4.3 vortec help

LonnieC

So i have a 96 4.3 vortec that im going to pull out of a blazer that was given to be because it had knock and im wondering if it is worth rebuilding or not. Has anyone in here gone through one of these motors and is there any advice that should be known. I have a friend with a machine shop so the labor wont cost me anything and he has a crank for me too. I just wonder if i could find good deal on a different motor and be in it less in the long run...

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
What are you going to put it in? How much hp do you think you will need? Those are great little engines for power to weight but a little more info would help answer your question.

LonnieC

Well im in the process of building a 95 wrangler... I've got dana 60s front and rear with 4.88 gears and plan on running around a 37" tire. Its just going to be a play toy so it is like its going to be a daily driver or any thing like that. I know the engine makes around 230 horse but they have good torque.

utah340six

i put a 03 in my 87 yj.
im running a 4l60e trans and converted to a jeep trans
411 gears in 08 rubi axels.
love it.
things to look at need chev 95 ish computer and wiring harness.
i used a howell harness.

what trans did u want to use??

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
We used a '96 CPI Vortec 4.3 with a th 350 and 3.8 atlas in a buggy and it worked GREAT. the axles we ran 4.88s and detroits. Fun machine.

230 might be a little high in the HP range, I think stock they list it at 190. We did some flat top pistons, went through the heads, and ran 101 octane and had a solid 250 HP when we started racing. Fairly easy enging to work with...

LonnieC

Ive got a twin stick dana 300 transfer case that im going to adapt to the 4l60e... why would i need a 95ish computer when i have the 96 computer?
Jinx do you know of any good rebuild kits to buy for this engine?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I had southvalley machine go through it when we needed a rebuild. They did a great job. Sorry I can't be more specific. I took them just the long block without intake or front end, it didn't seem to bad cost wise...

utah340six

your 96 comp sould be th same.
they (howell) striped all the stuff i did not need for off road.
that is some thing u may need to do.
i all so had fun to get my trans to shift.
i got my trans to transfercase adapter out of aplace in logan.
and then had to change out the output shaft from trans to mate to the transfercase.
you did get all the wiring ?
or are you going new wiring

LonnieC

jinx- did you have to replace all the timing gear assembly and cam or did you just use the original stuff.

340six-what was the name of the place you got your adapter at and how were there pricing? ive looked at advanced but they want an arm and a leg for theirs. Ill probably just go the same route you did for the wiring harness I have heard from a lot of people its worth the money.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
The engine had 130k on it so we replaced everything while we had it out. It wasn't worth going cheap when we already had it out.

I'd need any spare parts for that engine let me know the buggy is gone and have shelf of parts.

LonnieC

The only problem with going to that newer block is that i would have to find a new transmission as well because of the different bolt pattern...