4.3L Tech Articles

ewander

I need a really good article on a 4.3L swap into a YJ. Are there any good pages out there?

I am also looking for a vortec 4.3 doner vehicle with auto computer and all.....

ewander

Yeah, that is the only link that I could find. Bob, so you think I should just put a 350 in it and call it good? I am wondering the same thing. My 4 banger is getting tired, so I probably need to do something soon.

The 4.3 is appealing because it is so small and light weight, yet has plenty of power and torque.......hmm mmm

Caleb

I vote 4.3L...thats why I am in the middle of doing it to my own...they are way small...not quite as small as my 2.5L was but close...theres tons of aftermarket parts(pretty much anything you can find for a 5.7L works on the 4.3L) with the 4.3L I have no questions if I will be able to fit my doubler setup with an auto tranny...do it...

sukaB

Banned
91 YJ w/98 350 vortec.....112 pounds more than 4.3 with more power..
If your going to do it.......DO IT right.....
If you look real close at the new setup on mine you will notice some weight saving features.....belt's pulley's ect....i bet im around 60 pounds heavier......
Would not trade it for the world...
I almost made the wrong motor choice till my good friend
MR durham said you can't never have enuff pedal brutha.....
He's right....
:D

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
There is room to spare under the hood for the V8 so size is not an issue. As for weight how much will you realy save and will it really matter. I know that there are many people with sixes that love them but I have yet to talk to anyone who has swapped in a v8 that regrets it. I will let you drive my rig then drive a 4.3 jeep and then decide. If cost is an issue I would think that a 5.7 would not cost to much more than a 4.3 maybe less.

ewander

It is going to be a tough choice....It might come down to which doner vehicle I can find first, for cheaper....

My little brother had a YJ with a 350 in it, and it was nice...plenty o power, sold it so he could by a new YJ with A/C.

I think that I would probably be happy with either one, thanks for the info and opinions.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Sure a V8 is nice.....in a Camaro.:) But what are you doing...rockcrawling or rockracing? I mean theres enough room for a big block and a nitrous bottle in a Jeep too.
My pocket book just wouldn't support the Dana 60's I would have needed to justify a V8. With the right gears a 4.3 Vortec is more than enough motor in a Jeep. Hell it makes 260 ft pds. of TQ?
Just my opinion. Brandon

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Originally posted by BBowski82
Sure a V8 is nice.....in a Camaro.:) But what are you doing...rockcrawling or rockracing? I mean theres enough room for a big block and a nitrous bottle in a Jeep too.
My pocket book just wouldn't support the Dana 60's I would have needed to justify a V8. With the right gears a 4.3 Vortec is more than enough motor in a Jeep. Hell it makes 260 ft pds. of TQ?
Just my opinion. Brandon

A V8 is not necessary but it makes a jeep more fun to drive just about anywhere. Just driving down the street is funner. There is sand all over the place in Moab. Loose gravel and Mud. Tons of power is not needed in the rocks but it doesn't hurt either. You do not need 60s to run a V8! A bigblock is pretty heavy (and a lot more expensive) but I have seen plenty of big block rigs that seem to do fine in the rocks. The new FI aluminum Chevy bigblock would really be the ticket (I read they will be about $20,000). It just does not make sense to me to spend almost the same amount of cash to put in a six when you can have eight.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
I rebuilt mine for just over 200 bucks complete rebuild. Why would you need another cam? A camshaft with any kind of duration or lift isn't going to work with the TBI injection....unless you are gonna run a carb. BUT WHO WANTS A CARB??:D just my .02

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by BBowski82
I rebuilt mine for just over 200 bucks complete rebuild.

Complete? Or just an overhaul?Myself, I would probably replace a cam if I'm in there. Nobody is dissin on your 4.3, it just ain't a 5.7 and it never will be, inless you can weld a big ol chunck of cast onto yours, and then do a buttload of machining.

sukaB

Banned
No way....Your right 4.3's are the way to go in a jeep that needs a motor and still runs the streets and might pick up some grocery's and all...
But for me ........
My grandpa told me something before he died that I'll take to my grave...

If a little bits good a whole lot's gotta be better...

I have applied that to BEER,women,money,cars, trucks,fights,and yes the most important....JEEPS.........
Get some...:D

Moon

I have had all the motors mentioned above and others, in the vehicles they were designed for. this dose not make me an expert on the field, to say the least in rock crawling buggies and built jeeps ive never swaped motors. But the best motor ive ran would have to be the 4.0 in the mazda or ford ranger but more so the mazda because that is what i had. I'm not a big ford fan but that was a great motor. dont know the weight or length but it had power and got good gas mileage. Had a 4.3 and it was ok but blah compared to the mazda 4.0 had an isuzu 3.2 sohc it was ok but missed the mazda all around. the jeep 4.0 is a disappointment well it only has 800 miles on it and only ran O2 gas but still not the mazda 4.0. had a 5.7 vortec and that was good better than the mazda but not so much that it was worth the mpg differance. the 318 mag was good but hard to compare because it had header kn gen 2 intake 3in cat and 3in gibson catback. loved that motor. but didn't like the timming sensor mounted by the fly wheel broke once and a pain to fix. the cumins great......... but heavy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah it's novel but in conclusion why not a mazda 4.0 insted of the 4.3

sukaB

Banned
Amen on wiring and ford's all together........
hehehehe
Ever notice half the ford guys are hardly ever wheelin or finishing build up's...Poor bastards.:p ;)