4.56 Ring and Pinion. What kinds can I use?

I am looking for a 4.56 gear set for my 96 Ram 1500.

Do I need a larger Carrier to go from 3.55 to 4.56? I am pretty sure my axles are stock. What are they then? I new to dodge. I usually run Zukes. From what I have red, its a Daan 44 front with a Crysler 9.25 rear right?

So for gears. What kind of gears do I need. Are the front and the back the same part number? interchangeable? What is a 4 series? Do i need a 4 serier? [this is just something I noticed on an add for a ring and pinion set, no idea what I am talking about :eek:]

Can I use gears from other makes? if so what makes> what gears?
I want a 4.56 set for sure and I am trying to find them used. So i would like to be able to buy them from whatever I can as cheap as I can.

What else should I replace when I do the gears? should I even do them myself? I have done spools etc on my zuki. is it the same?

Thanks for the info guys!!!

Tim

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I am looking for a 4.56 gear set for my 96 Ram 1500.

Do I need a larger Carrier to go from 3.55 to 4.56?

For the rear, you will not need a new carrier. For the front you will.

I am pretty sure my axles are stock. What are they then? I new to dodge. I usually run Zukes. From what I have red, its a Daan 44 front with a Crysler 9.25 rear right?

Those should be correct.

So for gears. What kind of gears do I need. Are the front and the back the same part number? interchangeable? What is a 4 series? Do i need a 4 serier? [this is just something I noticed on an add for a ring and pinion set, no idea what I am talking about :eek:]

The front and rear will not be the same part number, since they're for different axles. (and not interchangeable, for the same reason) A 4 series usually is in reference to the ratio...you're going from a 3 series to a 4 series, meaning the first number of the ratio. (3.73 -> 4.56)

Can I use gears from other makes? if so what makes> what gears?
I want a 4.56 set for sure and I am trying to find them used. So i would like to be able to buy them from whatever I can as cheap as I can.

If those other makes used the same axles, then yes. Since your rear axle is a Chrysler one, you're limited on how many vehicles used it--also, I don't believe 4.56 was ever a factory offered gear ratio there. The front will use any standard Dana 44 gear set. I say "standard", since there are D44's that are different. (Jeep JK's, for example)

What else should I replace when I do the gears? should I even do them myself? I have done spools etc on my zuki. is it the same?

Thanks for the info guys!!!

Tim

Always a good idea to get a Master Install Kit for each axle, that will replace all the bearings in the diff, as well as supply the necessary shims, pinion nut, pinion seal, etc. Also, if you're wanting to add any sort of limited slip or locker, now's the time.

My general rule--if you ask if you should do them yourself, then you probably shouldn't do them yourself. :p There are a fair amount of specific tools you'll need to do the job properly, as well as knowing what needs to be done. Especially if this is a daily driver, it's worth having someone who knows what they're doing set them up--otherwise you'll just be out the money and time you spent when they don't last.

Thank you Lean! your the man.

So any front Dana 44 gear set as long as its standard cut lie mine and I need a 4 series carrier. The rear needs to be specific to a Chrysler 9.25" And I need a master rebuild kit for both axles. I have found gear/rebuild kit combos, but nothing with just the kit and no gears. [I hope to find the gears used for less than $150 an axle.] I have found a couple full kits with 4.56's and the rebuild for both axles, but they are like $600. that plus the carrier and install would run over $1200... I was hoping to get this done for a lot less than that. I can buy whole 1 ton axles and do the swap cheaper than $1200... We shall see. I guess if I buy the gears ad the carrier used I could just take everything to the mechanic and get it done from there. I do not plan on rock crawling with this truck. Its more for the ego =] otherwise I would just to the 1 ton swap without question. I may anyway if I cannot find gears cheap enough. I already found another axle set lie mine for less than $600 with 4:10's but I do not think that would be enough. the math puts 4.56's about right on for 34-36 inch tires and that would leave me a little on the highway side of the gearing with 37's and let me tow a trailer. This truck just drives me nuts at about 40mph when the overdrive starts going wacky... it needs gears one way or another..

Who is Carl? where is he at and what does he charge? Low range here in Town also has a guy named Tyler that does swaps for about $70 an axle. He usually does sidekicks though. Not sure if he does dodge.

Last edited: