4.7L and auto tranny

2BIGTJ

RUKKASTIXX Motorsports
I have a jeep 4.7L and the stock tranny bolted to it that came in a 99 WJ. I need some info on that transmision. How strong? would it hold up in a trail buggy behind that 4.7? could you adapt to duel toyota t-cases? in your opinion woiuld this be a good settup for a buggy?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
2BIGTJ said:
I have a jeep 4.7L and the stock tranny bolted to it that came in a 99 WJ. I need some info on that transmision. How strong? would it hold up in a trail buggy behind that 4.7? could you adapt to duel toyota t-cases? in your opinion woiuld this be a good settup for a buggy?

Not sure on strength, since I am not sure which tranny it is, but why use dual Toy cases? Why not just do an atlas instead?

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
I personally think the 4.7 and 46RHE is not a good choice for a buggy. I wheeled with that combo for 2 years. The tranny never broke on me, but I have been told by the new owner that he has had some issues with it. For a while I was planning on building a WJ buggy and I spoke with several individuals who have transplanted the WJ's drivetrain into buggies/jeeps. All of them said it wasn't worth it. The wiring and computer is a nightmare. The tranny is considered weak and it's not really upgradeable. The tranny parts are $$$'s.

If you want some info call Dan at Burnville Offroad. He put one in a TJ. You can also call the Curries. They have done two swaps...one for the 'fire ant' and one for a customer's TJ that is on 40" MTRs.

IMHO I would just stick with something common that is easy/cheap to mod/diagnos/fix.

Just my $.02

Mike

Joel

Anyone know if these share the same bell pattern as the earlier 5.2's? (small block Dodge)

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
2BIGTJ said:
Would a TJ 231 bolt up or would yo need an adapter?

It would bolt up since the bolt patterns are identical but you'll definitely need to change the input shaft. The input shaft is REALLY long. I swapped a 242 in my WJ and I took the input shaft out of the stock 249 case.