4 cyl TJ mpg's? Other small 4x4 questions

pELYgroso

'Merica
I had an '86 4runner on 35's w/ 5.29's and an auto tranny and it got 18-20 mpg's and would cruise up the point of the mountain at 65 mph without too much problem. Also had a '90 4runner stock with 22re and it also got 18-20 mpg's and had plenty of power. I recall them having more top end power than the TJ that I drove the other day.

I'm not ruling anything out. I guess I just need to come along the right rig for the right price...

Caleb

I drove my 4 cyl YJ for quite a while, even had it on 35s and had no complaints except for long trips. Drove it to Moab and to St. George and those long freeway trips it sucked. Other than that, for day to day around town driving (even with freeway speeds) I had zero issues. I did have it re-geared to 5.89s. I don't remember the mpg I got with it, but I was a newly wed and poor when I had it and don't ever remember having any issues with the mpg. I'd guess I was probably high teens to low twenties.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
All I was implying is that they have very similar power outputs and similar weights.

Neither are going to "feel fast" but I can't imagine a 10+ year old TJ "feeling slow" compared to a 25+ year old 4runner.

Fact is that stock TJ 2.5 4 cylinder makes more power (125hp/ 150lb/ft) than a 22re (114hp/ 137lbft) and a stock TJ wieghs less (3200lbs) than a stock 4runner (3720lbs).
And the last 22re (1985-1997) was made was the first year you could get a TJ (1997-2006)

In your example 5.29's will make a huge difference vs. 4.10's.
My 85 runner couldn't get out of it's own way with 33's and stock 4.10 gears and manual trans.
My 87 runner with 4.88's and 31's was acceptable.