4-LINK Questions

Broken

I'm trying to eliminate my radius arms on my '69 Bronco. I have 5.5 inch lift dual-rate (progressive) rock crawler coils from Wild Horses 4x4. I was wondering how one goes about getting the initial positioning for their link arms. I was thinking I could run a tie down strap to the rear and off the front bumper to hold it in place, and than I could level the coil with them holding the weight of the front end. And use that as my starting point for my linkages. Would this work? Is there an easier way? Also, I would have to run a couple of straps going side to side because I have a new full width axle and no track bar or drag link. Any suggestions? Thanx.

P.S. Do you need a track bar if you do a double triangulated 4-link? Or is it more practical to do a straight link with a track bar?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
because your axle will move straight up and down, instead of slightly side to side as with a track bar.

The reason you need your drag link and track bar to have the same angle, is so they travel in the same arc.

Broken

Hickey said:
On a front end, if you double triangulate, you need to run full hydro steering or you will have a ton of bumpsteer.

I was planning on using fully hydraulic steering with a double ended ram so I could eliminate the drag link and the tie rod.

Any tips on the initial setup? I checked the arcives, but haven't found anything.

Last edited:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Broken said:
I was planning on using fully hydraulic steering with a double ended ram so I could eliminate the drag link and the tie rod.

Any tips on the initial setup? I checked the arcives, but haven't found anything.

have ya tried pbb?

I know there is a couple of broncos that have been done lately.

muleskinner

Broken said:
I'm trying to eliminate my radius arms on my '69 Bronco. I have 5.5 inch lift dual-rate (progressive) rock crawler coils from Wild Horses 4x4. I was wondering how one goes about getting the initial positioning for their link arms. I was thinking I could run a tie down strap to the rear and off the front bumper to hold it in place, and than I could level the coil with them holding the weight of the front end. And use that as my starting point for my linkages. Would this work? Is there an easier way? Also, I would have to run a couple of straps going side to side because I have a new full width axle and no track bar or drag link. Any suggestions? Thanx.

P.S. Do you need a track bar if you do a double triangulated 4-link? Or is it more practical to do a straight link with a track bar?

Is your rig still together? Just measure the ride height (frame height and axle height) you have now and put everything on jackstands and go from there. I just mocked everything up at the ride height I wanted and started with that. If your running full hydro you will be fine with the dual triangulated front without a panhard bar (or track bar). Have you done all your research on squat and anti-squat etc? If not you better get reading. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Wellllllllll, we have discussed alot of this stuff already....Have you read the previous links?? lots of info about radius arms and links....

As for set up, I set the axle on stands, and frame on stands all where the should be at ride hieght, and start from there.... String it if needed (string 4 lines in a square around the truck, measured from the frame to set it up square....)

BUT, it is going to be difficult to double triangle 4link the frt of an EB. There is just too much in the way, oil pan, tcase/frt output, frame shape/dimensions....

I it were me, Id leave it radius arms........OH yea, I did :D