4 reasons why I don't like mud/water

Klif01

Do I bother you?
This time of year doesn't like me or my motor...almost exactly a year ago I blew a hole in a piston..

How'd that work out for me?

Attachments

• rod44.jpg
    rod44.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 33
  • rod33.jpg
    rod33.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 21
  • rod22.jpg
    rod22.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 20
  • rod11.jpg
    rod11.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 14

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I hate to break it to ya, but apparently the problem is that you had 7 pistons in that there motor. :p

So what happened? Is this why you're selling the K&N?

Klif01

Do I bother you?
Greg said:
I hate to break it to ya, but apparently the problem is that you had 7 pistons in that there motor. :p

So what happened? Is this why you're selling the K&N?

Sorry thats just all 4 pistons lined up so you get some duplicates.....

I went up the the B saturday night and had some pretty good speed heading into one of the mud holes.....and the way I had the K&N mounted (in the fender) Doesn't quite work for water....especially deep water.....so my straw of an intake sucked a couple gallons...

So there is me wading out of the hole in my underwear (didn't want to ruin the pants) so I can hook the strap up....

Getting off the mountain was not fun without vacuum assist brakes....my buddy hooked up behind me for a little extra safety...

Thats why I'm getting rid of the current setup, I figure It would be less hassle for me to just mount a stock air box there instead....and I don't need a little bit of extra power/mileage

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Damn sorry Tim, but I think a little heat and a hammer and you cna straighten them out.......j/k

Is the block OK? If so atleast its only some time spent and some new rods/pistons.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
That sucks!!!

FWIW next time you suck water, pull the plugs before you turn the motor over and that won't happen.... Water doesn't compress like air does and if you pull the plugs, turn the motor over, it will spit out all of the water. Then put the plugs back in and drive off.

In all fairness, any stock intake setup will do this. It's not K&N's fault. The only other way to resolve it would be a snorkel.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
well he pretty much gave his own reason for having a blown motor

I went up the the B saturday night and had some pretty good speed heading into one of the mud holes.

you never head into a puddle at speed what do you think you are in the Baja 1000 with a truck that is set up for it as well.

Klif01

Do I bother you?
waynehartwig said:
That sucks!!!

FWIW next time you suck water, pull the plugs before you turn the motor over and that won't happen.... Water doesn't compress like air does and if you pull the plugs, turn the motor over, it will spit out all of the water. Then put the plugs back in and drive off.

In all fairness, any stock intake setup will do this. It's not K&N's fault. The only other way to resolve it would be a snorkel.

I didn't try and crank it. I knew I sucked water when it killed the motor that fast.

Got pulled out, pulled the plugs, and soaked the drunk guy standing on the driver side....

Started it, and it knocked bad so I called it a night!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Klif01 said:
I didn't try and crank it. I knew I sucked water when it killed the motor that fast.

Got pulled out, pulled the plugs, and soaked the drunk guy standing on the driver side....

Started it, and it knocked bad so I called it a night!
That really sucks!! But drenching the guy to the side is kinda funny... :D

troutbum

cubi-kill
I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago, in my wifes car. I was scouting for elk when it started to rain...river was deeper on the way back.

Anyway somehow it was covered under warranty, brand new 4.3 ;)

rkillpack

Converted Oil Burner
What I've seen....

I was working near Hooters on 72nd and state when a coworker and some friends decided to run their cars through some puddles that develop behind hooters in a remote parking lot. The puddle was really about 4 feet deep. When the Mazda took a pass it died in the middle and they pushed it out onto dry land. Now I am thinking pull the plugs and pump it out. They were thinking start it. I got hit with bouncing parts of the engine block about 20 feet away as the block unmade itself right then and there. Only after going over and sharing my opinion, (obviously too late) did I realize that it was his Mom's car. Never did see him after that.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
rkillpack said:
I was working near Hooters on 72nd and state when a coworker and some friends decided to run their cars through some puddles that develop behind hooters in a remote parking lot. The puddle was really about 4 feet deep. When the Mazda took a pass it died in the middle and they pushed it out onto dry land. Now I am thinking pull the plugs and pump it out. They were thinking start it. I got hit with bouncing parts of the engine block about 20 feet away as the block unmade itself right then and there. Only after going over and sharing my opinion, (obviously too late) did I realize that it was his Mom's car. Never did see him after that.
D'oh! :eek:

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
I have heard if you mist water over a carb/intake it helps loosen up carbon.
Story is a kid from Orem (name with held to protect the guilty party) decided to do this to his Grandmothers Nova. While trying it, he felt like the 'misting' wasn't working fast enough. So he got a garden hose.....
There was one head on the 350 that was salvagable.
I'm thinking his Grandma wasn't very proud of her Grandson....

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
dunatic67 said:
I have heard if you mist water over a carb/intake it helps loosen up carbon.
Story is a kid from Orem (name with held to protect the guilty party) decided to do this to his Grandmothers Nova. While trying it, he felt like the 'misting' wasn't working fast enough. So he got a garden hose.....
There was one head on the 350 that was salvagable.
I'm thinking his Grandma wasn't very proud of her Grandson....

I actually did this on my old 67 mustang with a hipo 289.... it works if you use very small amounts of water... I ran the engine at about 2500 rpm and slowly poured water from a cup into the carb....