4 to 1 kit ~ probably a silly question

plaidfro

I am interested in the possibility of adding a 4 to 1 kit to my 94' YJ's NP231. My question is do the 4 to 1 kits replace the SYE that is in there already? or do you still use the SYE components with the 4 to 1 kit? I had looked into the $1200 teraflex option. Its probably down the road a bit, since I have several other items on my plate to work through... but I would love to learn about this and start looking for any deals out there to pick one up.

Brandon

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The 4 to 1 will replace the front half of your case with new planetary gears. the back half will stay the same including your SYE.

plaidfro

The 4 to 1 will replace the front half of your case with new planetary gears. the back half will stay the same including your SYE.

A follow up question would be; does the 4 to 1 kit replace most of the internal gear in the Tcase? So if my TCase internals 'might' have some abuse from the PO and need some rebuilding, would the 4 to 1 take care of most of the internals?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
No, it only replaces the planetary gears (the reduction gears), and the front case half. All the rest of your Tcase, both internal and external, gets reused.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Mesha nailed it, it replaces the front half and the planetary gear. You'll reuse all the other gears, all shafts, and the other half of the case.

plaidfro

1993yj

I may as well look into the additional $$$ for an Atlas 2 somewhere if I would already be $1,200 into the TeraFlex kit. I don't know how much life is left in the NP231. The oil was pretty ugly that I pulled out of it recently. I guess I will just run it till it dies.

That is exactly what I would do, or sell it now and put the cash towards an Atlas. I couldn't get myself to put 1200 + another 300-400 for SYE into the 231.

plaidfro

That is exactly what I would do, or sell it now and put the cash towards an Atlas. I couldn't get myself to put 1200 + another 300-400 for SYE into the 231.

I didn't even consider that I could sell the old NP231 that has the SYE in it... that would easily help make the decision when I would be ready for the 4 to 1 to go with the Atlas 2.

Thanks for you comments on this... it is slowly helping me see the light.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I liked my 4 to 1 in my 231. I thought it was fine. When I parted out the rig I sold the whole tcase with gears and SYE for 850 bucks. It had upgraded chain and a few changes to beef it up. Point is, you don't have to spend 1200 bucks on that t case. find one that has the 4 to 1 already done and buy it for 800-900 bucks and then sell yours for 300 bucks. you will be into it way less than the atlas. Less than just the shifters and all the adapter parts you need to put it in your jeep drivelines, speedo stuff, yokes, etc. If you want the atlas because it is better then it is worth the money, it is better. It is not close to the same price. If the price thing is a way to justify because you really want an atlas then I agree a 231 is the same price ;)

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
go atlas if your going to end up where I did:

example:

teralow................ $1200
chain upgrade.........$ 150
2lo shift fork............$200
sye/short shaft..........$300
upgrade output..........$120
Total...$1970 plus install

dont get me wrong my terelow lasted 5 seasons of terror before the planetary caved in, but its still spendy and its not near as strong as an atlas.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
If you want to sell your current sye tcase my brother is looking for one, he's not in a huge hurry, but if/ when you are ready to sell, you should shoot me a pm

mesha

By endurance we conquer
go atlas if your going to end up where I did:

example:

teralow................ $1200
chain upgrade.........$ 150
2lo shift fork............$200
sye/short shaft..........$300
upgrade output..........$120
Total...$1970 plus install

dont get me wrong my terelow lasted 5 seasons of terror before the planetary caved in, but its still spendy and its not near as strong as an atlas.

OR

all of the above( except 2 low) already put together 850 bucks

I agree the atlas is the better route, but the cost isn't that close.