4 to 6

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped

4 cly jeep = $5k (just a wild guess)
6 cyl jeep = $6k (another wild guess)

motor/transmission/adapters/motor mounts/ time/ effort/wiring/etc = ? (if this is less than the difference between the 4 and 6 then it may be worth while I highly doubt it is so just sell the 4 and buy a 6).

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Probaly better just to sell your and buy a 6 cylinder one.Not worth the effort to swap.

Good advice.

Your transmission will not bolt up without an adapter, your clutch and linkage won't swap, t-case input splines are different, your motor mounts need to be moved, your radiator, fan shroud, coolant overflow, etc. all need to be swapped, your fuel system including tank need to be swapped (there are ways around swapping tanks...) your wiring and ECM need to be swapped, your front leaf springs are different than a 6-cyl model...

There are surely other things that need to change as well.

If you swap motors, don't waste your time or money putting a 6 in it. I'd argue that you can swap a V8 in for cheaper, and it is the same amount or less work to do.

If you just want the stock reliability of a Jeep with a I6 in it, sell the 4-banger Jeep, and buy one with a 4.0L.

jpndave

Good advice here, unless you can find a screaming deal on a complete take out, this is definately more cost than it is worth. When the labor is factored in, not an afternoon job BTW, it is even less enticing. If you are going to the hassle of an engine swap, I would do a V8 and you had better be commited to the project because it is a big job. The results are definately worth it, but it is a really big job.

Last edited: