4 wheel disc brake M.C. upgrade?

crawldaddy

Ive got a question for the disk brake experts out there. I have an 84 CJ-7 with disk on all 4 corners. I have to pump the pedal a time or two to lock it up.:sick: I feel like I need to upgrade the master cylinder to handle the 4 wheel disk. Im headed to Moab next month and would rather have brakes that work for the downhill sections. What Master Cylinders has anyone else used? I replaced the brake pads and have an adjustable proportioning valve installed.

dirtydog

Several options here.......
On my YJ, I used a master for a '78 Mercury Marquis w/4 wheel disc brakes. Works very well.
Others have used a master for a Ford E350 van.....but I'm unsure of which year.
Some others have used a master for a '69 Corvette.
I don't know how much modification the van or 'Vette cylinders need to fit, but the Marquis cylinder was very close to bolt-in (I had to modify the cap retaining clip a bit and swap a couple of fittings) on my YJ.
If you're bucks-up, Vanco makes a nice hydroboost system for Jeeps......a little pricey, but a really nice system, and very effective.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Power Brakes?
I also have a 84 CJ with 4WDiscs. The perfect bolt in solution is a 78 corvette master cylinder. Ignore the confusing talk on the web of using an earlier 69 or so vette MC the rod length is wrong. I have the 78 in my jeep and it is truly bolt in with no mods. The performance is just right also. They are true 4Wdisc MCs

crawldaddy

Power Brakes?
I also have a 84 CJ with 4WDiscs. The perfect bolt in solution is a 78 corvette master cylinder. Ignore the confusing talk on the web of using an earlier 69 or so vette MC the rod length is wrong. I have the 78 in my jeep and it is truly bolt in with no mods. The performance is just right also. They are true 4Wdisc MCs
Thank you! Ive been told to try a corvette MC but know one seemed to know which year to try. I didn't feel like trial and error. None of the local parts stores where any help either, all they wanted to do is hand me a MC for an 84 cj.

STAG

On my grind
Thank you! Ive been told to try a corvette MC but know one seemed to know which year to try. I didn't feel like trial and error. None of the local parts stores where any help either, all they wanted to do is hand me a MC for an 84 cj.

Yeah auto parts stores don't really know much about mix and matching parts for crawlers :)

cheepin

Power Brakes?

I did this/\.Worked great on my last CJ.