4biker's Jeep Trailer thread - I hope I do this right

4biker

Well, I read the expedition trailer thread, and it reminded me of a long, lost desire to own an off-road trailer with an RTT on top. I hate dragging my parents' tent trailer over hours of dirt road n the Uintas (or up AF Canyon toward Mineral Basin). I hate thinking of all of the screws that are backing themselves out, and the rear bumper that I've nearly torn off on several occasions. It's wide, heavy, and low to the ground. I do it because I love my wife (not to mention it's nice to have a kitchen).
Anyway, I just happened to look on KSL the other day and found this:
IMG_1660.jpg

It's an old Willys trailer, but the tags are all painted over so I'll have to get creative to find the year, model, etc. I was so excited to find this thing I didn't look closely at all, and just picked it up. Probably pulled the trigger a little too fast.

The good:
it doesn't appear to have any real rot or cancer, it tracks straight and pulls really nicely. The shock mounts are all in place, and probably some other stuff I can't think of right now.

The bad:
The PO cut the top of the trailer off, probably starting where it flutes outward, giving it that great (recognizable) utilitarian shape. There is also no steel on the back end, and it's been a little mangled putting the plywood frame on top. The cut around the perimeter is not very clean, and it's just full of silicone sealant. Also, the paint makes me want to throw up a little bit. The original axle is in place, but I need to pull the wheels off to look at the condition of the brakes (I have my doubts). There is no cabling or wiring in place, and no lights. The PO said they owned it for 40 years. The sheet metal is all warped one way or another, but I can definitely live with condition of most of it. I'm going to get a ton of experience welding on this thing - that's a good thing, right?

Here are some more pics:
IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

Well, let me know what you think. Right now, I'm planning on removing all of the wood, and adding a steel superstructure where the plywood is. The problem is the build as it currently is seems to be pretty well thought-out, and it's going to be a TON of work to replace it all.

Oh, yeah - he was going to skin the rounded roof structure, which I thought was pretty cool - it's just not my style. I either need to skin it or chuck it.
IMG_1670.jpg

Thoughts? Regardless of the direction I take, it will be fun to work on.

Edit: here is a link to more pics if interested - http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z121/4biker/Willys%20Trailer/

rdneckride

4biker,

I like the idea and the base for the trailer I think is good. I would definitely scrap the wood for a Metal frame. This will give you a great base for the RTT. Once you know what will be sitting on top you can then plan on if/where other things will go and be plumbed if needed. I know I have no experience at this but that is the direction I'd take.

krany

kranberry
also another thing to consider as far as wood vs metal. metal wont rot as fast as wood will, and if done right the metal may be much lighter and will be way stronger than the wood is.

4biker

Yeah, the feeling I get is that I'll be pulling the wood off and wire-brushing the paint down to bare metal. I like to have a vision for the project before jumping in, but I'll have to get into it at some point. I just know when I take the wood off, it's just going to look so pathetic and mangled!
For the kitchen area I'll probably put a hinged shelf on one side that runs the length, or make it removeable. Of course, I could conjure something on the rear that could magically open into a camp stove and water supply, since the rear panel is gone anyway. Then I could affix a permanent propane source. I'll have to think about that one.

4biker

I've been doing more research on the exact model that I got. Apparently it's a Korean-era M-100. According to this site, it's among the rarest of the trailers, and should be left without modification if in pristine condition. Unfortunately, It's been hacked up, so we're beyond that. I think I'll be pulling the wood off tonight and start wire-brushing the paint off so I can get it going. Then I'll be able to free up my garage for the 4Runner before snow hits. Pictures to come.

Last edited:

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Save yourself a ton of effort, strip off the steel and take it to someone and have them sandblast it, don't kill yourself with the wire wheel.. and the sandblasting will get into all of the nooks and crannys underneath as well.. then primer seal it and build from there.. always so much better to start off with something completely clean.

If you are putting a RTT on there I don't know if domed roof is that helpful...

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Save yourself a ton of effort, strip off the steel and take it to someone and have them sandblast it, don't kill yourself with the wire wheel.. and the sandblasting will get into all of the nooks and crannys underneath as well.. then primer seal it and build from there.. always so much better to start off with something completely clean.
Agreed!

If you are putting a RTT on there I don't know if domed roof is that helpful...

Worked for me :)

5142006024_a6bf0333f9_b.jpg

4biker

Thanks for the input guys. That is a great looking trailer Brian - I may end up with something that looks like that. I pulled all of the wood off this morning, and here is what I'm left with:

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

It looks like I may have to just take it down to the frame and start from there. The sheet metal is perforated with random useless holes, and it's pretty rough as a base to weld onto, not to mention the thing is 50+ years old. I guess I get to design my own trailer from the frame up! At least I won't have to pay someone to sandblast the remaining sheets from the tub.

4biker

Made some easy progress today. I decided to scrap the chopped walls in lieu of new sheetmetal, so I cut it down to the frame today. I still need to put a lot more time into prepping it for new sides, but I'll take any progress at this point. Winter is on its way, and garages are for vehicles when the snow is flying.
IMG_1889.jpg

Apparently the trailer was built in 1953, but I've got to finish removing all of the paint the PO shellacked on.
IMG_1891.jpg

And the floor of the trailer... I want to retain it if possible, but I want to make it look less thrashed. I'm thinking I'll flip the thing upside down and drop a sandbag on it a bunch of times to try and pound it back into shape. Then I can reinforce it to prevent future thrashings.

I decided I'll probably build an AT Horizon-type trailer, since I like the concept and it may be easier to do piecemeal. I'll build the main box first and the lid, then I can get it out of the garage while I make the side boxes.

4biker

And it's back...

Okay, I've continued my build with renewed vigor. I ended up wire-wheeling in the whole thing against the wisdom of those who have gone before, and I will say: you were right. What a long, noisy mess. At any rate, it's done with that phase, and it's on to bigger and better things. I repacked the hubs and it's rolling now, but I had it on its back for a long time getting some pinholes welded up. By the way, if anyone wants or needs an axle for this application, I'll be replacing this one to get matching hubs, so I'll make you a good deal. Here are some pictures of what took me so long. I decided to go with royal blue for the underside and frame components. I'll see how long that paint/color lasts. I'll probably end up with a more durable finish on the hitch & anything that will be exposed to thrown rocks from the 4Runner

Here it is upside down, halfway primed:
472C9538.jpg

and blue:
A0EA58A7.jpg

4biker

So here are a couple of shots of what I've got going now. The hardest thing about this build is figuring out how to attach a new structure onto the existing base, when I'm dealing with old, thin, beaten-up sheet metal. What I have decided to do is use two 2" x 1/4" lengths of angle iron, and bolt it to the existing base. I messed around with it a couple of days ago, and the concept is coming together a lot better in my head now.
Here you can see the angle iron running down either side with some posts welded on. In hindsight, I obviously should have just tacked them on, but it's a work in progress, and I've got to learn somehow. I'll probably be stripping the vertical posts back off until I have attached the angle iron satisfactorily, and I can get everything level and square.

59B7667B.jpg

When I get the angle iron attached, I'll weld some floor cross supports in the form of three 1" x 3/16" angle iron lengths to give some rigidity and tie the heavy angle iron together. Then the superstructure will be made from 1.25" x 1/8" square tubing, which is what is on there now. I figure four total vertical 30" posts on either side, and tie them together with some horizontal pieces

533357A8.jpg

0397E2CF.jpg

After the vertical posts are up and I have a runner for the top piece, I will be dividing the main box into two compartments. The front will house the marine battery (along with the inverter) and propane bottle, and hopefully a water tank. If H2O won't fit there, it will be over the axle. All of the box will be contained by the same roof, but I'll put a door in the front for access, and for additional storage when needed, and a tailgate in the back.

4D06BAD1.jpg

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Most of the trailers I have seen all place the propane bottle outside of any closed compartments... You don't want it in an enclosed space where fumes can accumulate - especially a compartment with batteries and inverters in it. Can you put the propane bottle on the tongue in front of the trailer box?

4biker

Hmm... That's a very good point - I'll have to sort that out. Maybe it will have to move to the tongue. I'll get some work on it done tomorrow and see what changes I can make. Thanks!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Most of the trailers I have seen all place the propane bottle outside of any closed compartments... You don't want it in an enclosed space where fumes can accumulate - especially a compartment with batteries and inverters in it. Can you put the propane bottle on the tongue in front of the trailer box?

My camper had a little compartment for the propane bottle--but there were vents in the door, so it wasn't super 'enclosed'.

4biker

My camper had a little compartment for the propane bottle--but there were vents in the door, so it wasn't super 'enclosed'.

I like that idea - I just don't want to create an opportunity to allow a ton of dust in. I just don't like mud and junk to get all over everything. Maybe I can have a "travel" setting where it's closed up tight, and then a "use and storage" setting where it's ventilated. I'll work on it tomorrow and see how I feel about it. Thanks for the input, guys

4biker

So I have been able to take a little time to work over the past couple of weeks, even with putting up crown molding & trim, and painting inside the house. I painted the entire trailer Navy blue, which I love as a base for the trailer (I found an old layer of Navy blue on the underside that I think was from its original military service). Unfortunately, the glossy paint makes the old bed of the trailer look really bad, so I'm probably going to a flat color on that. I highly recommend the self-etching primer from WalMart. It covers as well as anything I've ever used, and it is a great base. I may just use that for the bed. Also, the Krylon paint I bought is absolute junk. I'll never buy Krylon again. It covers terribly, and it's not at all durable as a finish. Everything will be Rustoleum from now on.

The front box/compartment is 17" and the overall length is 60". The widgth is about 38" if memory serves, and the height is just over 30". There will be a tailgate or door at the back and a door on the front panel. I'm also toying with putting doors in on either side under the side boxes that will ultimately go on as well. Then if I have a battery and inverter, a water tank, and eventually a fridge, it will be easy access in the front. The propane bottle will go on either the front or the side at this point.

You'll see some silver bolts holding the framework onto the trailer frame. There are actually 6 on each side, but I only have 3 installed on each side right now. The superstructure should be well anchored to the base trailer.

I had a problem a couple of days ago, since I started welding the frame on, that nothing was squaring up well. I finally figured it out, and I've made huge progress from there. Let me know what you think of the structure. I want to eventually have a heavy RTT up there, or be able to carry 5 or so bikes on the roof without collapsing. I think I've got good rigidity, but if there's an engineer out there who can teach me, speak up! Once I get the framework done, it gets paint and will be stuck out in the snow so the 4Runner can stay dry. I'll probably skin it with light-gauge steel or aluminum with rivets like an old-style trailer. I'm thinking the color for the box will be metallic silver to match the trim on the 4Runner. That should look really sharp against the Navy blue frame. I'll also try to figure out a fitting tribute to the military history of the trailer.

AF37FD59.jpg

8BCF2DF6.jpg

And now it looks like this:

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg