4bt motor swap in a 2008 Jeep JKUR

hans j

drove a van where?
Guess I'm late to the party, but I'll share my experience with registering a diesel conversion. Really wasn't a big deal! BUT my syncro is 1986 and that year in with diesel engines doesn't require emissions. A 2008 will require a full OBDII conversion from a 2008 or newer diesel. That means all emissions controls will have to be present for it to be legal.

When I went to the DAQ, they really didn't have any procedure in place, they said go to the DMV to get a title change, but the DMV wanted confirmation from the DAQ that is was an actual diesel engine. Not that big of deal, but I finally just got them to sign a piece of paper that said it was a diesel, then took that to the DMV and got my new diesel title. No more emissions testing!!! :)

As far as being a conversion from the same model line or whatever, I've only heard those rules in racing. There are as many different brand engines swapped legally into vanagons as there are brands of cars.

I played it close with having an older technology engine used in VW from 1996 to 2004 but went with 2002 electronics. They didn't know any specifics at the DAQ, I just pointed out it didn't have spark plugs and told them to smell the exhaust...

As far as fuel economy goes... I weigh in at 5000 pounds, AWD with BFG AT's and shaped like a brick. On the freeway at speeds around 65-70mph, I get 22-25mpg depending on headwind and if I can hang a couple hundred feet back from a trailer. Under 55mph I get 30mpg pretty easy since my rpm is lower. Off road I can get near 40's if just driving hilly dirt roads at speeds around 45 and lower. My biggest trip so far was 2300 miles and returned 27.5mpg. Much better than 15-18mpg the gas engine got. Plus I can drive up hills now! Oh and this is a 1.9L TDI, fully balanced, non-intercooled stock engine with euro nozzles. About 90hp and 140 tq.