4l60E T-Case Interchange

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I’ve got a 4l60e transmission with the 6 bolt round t-case mount. I’m looking at options for t-cases. This will all go in an early Bronco. I know the frame rails are narrow, but don’t know how narrow they are. So what fits?
The output shaft should be 27 spline. I have the stock Dana 20, but the price of the adapter is spendy and may require the trans to be disassembled. The trans is in good shape and i was not planning a rebuild at this time.

S-10 231?
Jeep 231?
Chevy 241?

I have the AWD t-case that mated to this transmission. Not sure what it is though (2006 Cadi Escalade). Will the input shaft of it swap to a jeep 231 or a 241?
I think the S10 231 is an odd shape and maybe larger than the jeep 231. Maybe a 5 bolt pattern as well??? So maybe I find a cheap junk yard jeep 231 and out in the 27 spline input from the AWD case I have…in a perfect world.

This bronco will never see the rocks… and will seldom see the streets. It’s set to live a comfy life in an air conditioned garage.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
S10 231 is a 5-bolt mounting pattern, but with the correct adapter to a 4L60 it shouldn't be an issue, and that adapter should be a really easy on to find at the junk yard (unless I'm mixing things in my head...I'm pretty sure a 4L60/231 was a factory S10 offering... maybe only 700R4/231?) Are you sure the current AWD case isn't the same 5-bolt mounting pattern?

I would highly doubt the AWD input shaft will interchange with any 231/241/other part-time NP/NV case.

As for width... Not sure exact numbers, but I do recall people having to shift/angle the entire drivetrain to center the width of the t-case (Atlas for sure, maybe even D300s?) between frame rails... I'd imagine a 231 would have a decent chance of fitting, but drivetrain offset would probably be dictated by the angle you clock the t-case at.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have a 241 here I can take measurements off of. Does anyone have easy access to a 231 to measure? Looking for the length from center of input shaft to the outside of the driver side of the case.
Thanks.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have a 241 here I can take measurements off of. Does anyone have easy access to a 231 to measure? Looking for the length from center of input shaft to the outside of the driver side of the case.
Thanks.
If nobody gets it done sooner, I can get these measurements later tonight.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Thanks.
Looks like really close to 13".

1969honda

Supporting Member
I believe your escalade awd case is a BW 4481 case. I can look at the wife's 05 escalade for a tag today if you need further info.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Yes, kinda. I need to combine it with some parts from a Jeep 231 (which I also have) to get fixed output yokes.
Thanks for the information. Can you get a sye for an s10 case or do you have to piece one together from a jeep case?
I’ll go measure my 241 and see how it compares to that 13 inches.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I believe your escalade awd case is a BW 4481 case. I can look at the wife's 05 escalade for a tag today if you need further info.
I believe it is. It is surprisingly light for how big it is, but I guess it’s missing lots of parts most others have. It also loves to leak fluid out of the rear output onto your shoes when carrying it around. 🙄

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Thanks for the information. Can you get a sye for an s10 case or do you have to piece one together from a jeep case?
I’ll go measure my 241 and see how it compares to that 13 inches.
I have in my mind that I need to use the rear case half from the 231J, to use a Jeep SYE. I don't remember if that's because there isn't one for the 231C, or if it's just because I have a Jeep one already. :)

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have in my mind that I need to use the rear case half from the 231J, to use a Jeep SYE. I don't remember if that's because there isn't one for the 231C, or if it's just because I have a Jeep one already. :)
Thinking about this, it would be much easier for you to build two of these at the same time than for us both to go through the hassle of building one each. 😂

I guess the next question is, is the 6 bolt tcase pattern of the jeep 231 different than the six bolt round 4L60e? If I swap the input to 27 spline will they bolt up? Maybe get a clocking ring to put it in a better spot.