4L60E trans leak, How much effort to change a rear seal?

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I have transmission fluid coming out of the front yoke of my transfercase and when I check the fluid in the trans it is low. I assume it is the rear seal leaking into the adapter and then going into the NP231 and it is overloading the transfercase and expelling it out of the front yoke.

Am I right to assume this? I have been told it's not very hard to change the rear seal in the transmission but I wanted to know from someone who isn't a mechanic if it is easy or hard. I want to attempt to do it myself and save a few bucks.

Anyone have any experience with this trans? I know it's basically the same as the 700R4 so if you have experience with the 700R4 trans your comments are welcome too.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
uuuuuuuummmmmm

That's an interesting theory. Your trans isn't leaking at all????

well at any rate... my 700r4 is leaking at the adapter, either the rear seal is shot on the tranny OR the gasket/sealer is leaking. From my heavy manual consultation, it doesn't look like too big a deal... Pull the adapter/t-case, punch out the seal, drive a new one in?? Doesn't LOOK like much of a job.

anyone who's done it?

4x4phil

Drew, I'm almost positive that your tcase is self contained. I've never changed a 231 that wasn't. If your tranny is leaking into the tcase it would be because the input gasket on your tc was leaking. Or the output to the front drive shaft was leaking. Your tranny fluid is containded by the gaskets around your adapter, and kept out of your tc by the input gasket on your tc. I remember that was the concept when we assembled everything. I'll bet the low tranny fluid was just a coincidence. So your tranny is fine and your focus needs to be on the transfercase. The front yoke seal is a 30 min. job from disassembly to assembly.... piece of cake. Start there. A drive shaft vibe could cause that, or just everyday wear and tear. Considering the miles on your tc that'd be my first guess. You'll have to pull the tc to do the input.