4runner cluch

xjc

I give up :(
4runner clutch

The clutch in my sister-in-law's 94 4runner has crapped out on her.

Anybody know how long it would take to change in the average garage? (compressor, no tranny jack) I am not very experienced in this thing but I can generally do stuff like this.

Any tips?

Last edited:

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Yup.....we just did one, help my Bro in Law on his 4runner, I think it's a 90-ish or so. I think we had it out in about 3 hours, but that was with two of us wrenching and one more being the nurse (......scalpel........suction...........clamp..........suction........)handing us tools. I wasn't there for the reinstall, but ifyou're doing it by yourself I'd plan on AT LEAST an entire, long day. Get your clutch at exchange parts, they are the cheapest. And MAKE SURE you borrow or rent a tranny jack. Don't even waste your time trying to do it without one. An impact is nice to have too.

EZ

xjc

Ah, I see,,,,,,

Unless someone out there has something better to say than that it aint looking like its gon'a be done in my garrage.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
they glue, screw and bolt so much crap to the top of a tranny it is sickening. I hate newer vehicles just for that fact. tell your sister in law to chill out on the clutch and get it done by a pro. if it were a samurai, you could do it on a lunchbreak....but on a newer runner...forget it!!

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Well, actually there wasn't that much attached to the tranny. You have to pull the shifter off through the inside, and there are about 2-3 electrical plugs that you need to disconnect from the tranny,, but other than that it's not too bad. What sucks so bad is taking off the drivelines, crossmember, etc. all the stuff that is in the way.

EZ

xjc

I told her she should have got that new elantra instead of a 4runner with 120k miles on it but she wouldn't listen to me. I told her that she needs to save money to be able to pay for repairs but surprize, surprize. she didn't :rolleyes: and now she has had to sell her soul, so to say, to paid to put on a new CV shaft and now a clutch.

I would have helped her but I don't even have time to fix my own junk

Sucks when you don't pay attention to the person who knows.

(yes, I am a father):p