4Runner power antenna switch

audiofreak97

So I pulled the stereo and components out of my Tacoma and put it all in the 4runner. Never had a power antenna on a vehicle so I'm not entirely sure if my radio has the problem or if it's the Toyota auto antenna, but if you click the remote, the antenna goes up, if you turn on the lights the antenna goes up, press eject on the radio...

Been searching to find a fix to the problem and the best I can find is replacing a broken antenna, no help. I want to start wheeling but I dont' want to rip off the antenna so I've decided best temporary fix is a switch. I don't want a toggle switch, I wanted a push on push off switch that would fit in the factory switch holes. Found some online, but they are all pre-labeled. Would love a factory switch, but I'm settling for a next best thing.

Picked it up at Autozone, not sure of longevity and quality but it works for now. Not a push button, but a sensing button? Kind of cool and looks half way decent after I filed down some of the plastic.

So does anyone have a hookup for a good factory style push button switch? Has anyone tried one of these switches, and had good luck with them?

I've got more questions coming on upgrades that I have rattling around in my head like dual battery, on board air, other stuff I wanted to do to the Tacoma but I kept putting off... maybe a build thread is in my future...

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Not enough information. But if the antenna is going up, it not broken, the power lead in being energized.
Adding a switch is an interesting solution, my temporary fix would've been pulling the fuse until I could spend time getting to what's doing.

ttora4runner

Just ditch the power antenna and do the Tacoma whip antenna mod.

You'll have to replace the antenna eventually as either the motor will go out or the cord that pulls/push the antenna will crap out.

audiofreak97

I believe the problem lies in the head unit. A basic enough head unit that the power antenna is always energized when the head unit has power. Its a clarion model dxz385usb if anyone has any experience with one.

As for swapping antenna's I've thought about that since I have a Tacoma sitting right next to it in the drive way...

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Seeing as your username says audiofreak this might not fly for you, but my antenna goes up whenever my headunit has power going to it even if I'm playing aux or cd etc. so when I go wheeling where there's a lot of overhang from tree branches etc I just turn off power to the deck so the antenna goes back inside. But I like being able to hear my surroundings when wheeling and how the car sounds too, but you might want music instead. Anyway I suppose this wasn't any help but just an alternative.

audiofreak97

I tried that... Antenna still stayed up. I'm going to have to replace the head unit... or swap antennas if/when the time comes.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I see no need to swap antenna since yours works fine. I'd spend more time on what's wired incorrectly. Like the fact you're using the amp turn on lead instead of the power antenna lead for starters.