4runner supra swap

KrazyKarl

Dents are cool right?
I just pick up a 1988 supra today and I'm planning on stuffing it's motor into my 85 4runner. I've seen a few rigs with this set up and was curious if anybody has any tips, or things to look out for that I should keep in mind as I start preparing to do the swap.

crawldaddy

go for it, I have a supra in my 85 runner and love it. Lots of power and runs so smooth. Its a nice tight fit, and pray that you never have to replace the starter. If you need any pics of how mine was done let me know.

KrazyKarl

Dents are cool right?
do you think it would be a good idea to replace things like the alternator, starter, waterpump, ect when the motor is out just so there isn't any problems later on or are the parts pretty reliable? I've also heard that a small body lift makes the swap a little easier?

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Its a nice tight fit, and pray that you never have to replace the starter..

amen! took me 6 hours to put the starter in and i was crying by the end of it:sick:

come check mine out you know where i live and dont be shy if im not there to pop my hood, im still looking fo a better radiator set up then mine(only clears the pullys by about 3/4 inch), also id recomend sum sort of body lift, i couldnt do one because of my roll cage but it would have made for a much better fit and less pounding of the firewall

btw crawldaddy, what did you do for your radiator?

KrazyKarl

Dents are cool right?
what motor mounts did you guys use? I heard that the ones for the eairlier supras are a direct bolt on. Does anybody make a tuffer one than stock?

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
you need to use 5mge motor mount brackets, (the part that goes from the block to the rubber motor mount) then when you use 22re rubber motor mounts it will line up with the mounts on the frame.

i used the L.C.E. mounts that are supposed to be the bomb, but i still broke one:)
ive heard inchworm makes some sweet motor mounts too and they are cheeper

KrazyKarl

Dents are cool right?
Well, We finally got around to starting the swap. We took the dash. It looks like the wireing is going to be the fun part of the swap! Here are some pics of what we did

Attachments

• IMG00699.jpg
    IMG00699.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG00700.jpg
    IMG00700.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG00701.jpg
    IMG00701.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG00702.jpg
    IMG00702.jpg