4x4 friendly inspection in orem?

chadbuckner

Oh what a feeling..Toyota
Does anyone know of a place in Orem/ Provo that is a 4x4 friendly shop that can do a vehicle inspection. The truck was sold and the new owners are having a rough time getting anyone to look at the rig. It is legal, (Within specs), but people are just too chicken to actually inspect it to find out. They drive up and the shop says they won't even look at it, cause just by the looks of things they KNOW it won't pass, BS it'll pass just fine. It has for the last 3 years. I'm just trying to help the new buyers out to try and get it inspected. Thanks

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I don't even think that it is a don't ask don't tell issue. I think that the state is watching inspections closer than they have in the past. There have been many stations warned, fined, etc for not inspecting correctly, and they are pushing the penalties to the stations harder. It is too bad because it makes these unknowledgeable places like you mentioned afraid to do an honest inspection.

I think what you need to ask is "who is a 4x4 knowledgeable inspection in Orem". Since you are legal (or so you believe you are) it should just be a matter of finding someone who knows the law and is not afraid of the law to do the inspection.

But to help you out, I am not familiar with any of the Orem stations. But if this helps, when I get inspected I will take a copy of the law with me, and have it on hand so they have an easy reference for any questions. If you are close on height, or flaps, or bumpers, etc, it maybe help them if they have a copy to reference so they know and you know what exactly is needed

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
I've said it once (or ten times, don't remember) if My 88 Honda DD has to pass, so should your lifted POS. Make it legal, quit trying to dodge the rules, and these shops will quit being so sensitive to inspecting altered vehicles.

That said, *IF* it is legal, K and S in Lehi by the roundabout is not scared to do lifted vehicles. But they will not "overlook" a failure.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
what harm would it do to not inspect someone? if they "know" it will fail, why don't they just test and fail it, they'll still make their $$$ off of it

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
what harm would it do to not inspect someone? if they "know" it will fail, why don't they just test and fail it, they'll still make their $$$ off of it

Lately, they are giving the option to take a ticket or rat out the place that passed your vehicle. The smaller guys that have a hard time competing against the Jiffy Lubes are trying to build return customers, so they do favors or look the other way. And the Jiffy Lube types are trying to stay out of getting into the headaches.

To me, it is still very simple. Make it legal or quit crying. All of my street vehicle s are legal to the letter. I just paid more to make my Honda Legal than it's even worth.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Personally, I know if it is legal, the guys at LKC in Pleasant Grove are very knowledgible about 4x4's, but they won't overlook anything, but I know their I/M guys is a U4WDA member, so support our supporters.

fatkid44

Use Wayne and AllJeep.com
I'd recommend In and Out in SF as well. We were hoping to get my rig ready for jeep safari, and Steve came up with a perfectly legal solution to the problem. He's a wheeler too, so he understands where we are coming from and knows what he's doing.

jdub

Scrambler
So many people are getting shut down these days!!! I tried 5 different shops in the valley and they all are incapable of doing the safety and I/M.

Hey you finally sold the Rig ? Taysom Tire in Orem on state the owner Lloyd use to run Jeeps all the time so he's good but he'll watch his butt and Mikes at the bottom of the university hill just did the one on my 6" XJ. I know your trucks legal so it shouldn't be a problem, I'd go do it for you but im in New Guinea, LOL.

Try Full Throttle on 1800 N. State in Orem. The guy is cool and military. I have had them do work on a few things for me in the past and they are strait.

Stay away from "Jim's" on 1000 W. Center St. in Provo. He told me my truck was not going to pass because my "STOCK" sized tires were too wide. Even after I opened the door and had him (Jim) read the factory size and the actuall tire he said that he would still fail me.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
If it is legal, take it to the UHP office and have them pass it. Tell them the problems you have trying to get it to pass, to so they can be aware of what they are doing to the i/m shops.