5.0 Warm Up Issue

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
I have an 87' port-injected 302, that up until recently would, when started idle at a higher rpm then kick down to a low idle. It does not do this anymore. Now when I start it, it never idles up and sometimes dies unless I give it a little gas until it has warmed up. So, is it a sensor that has gone out, or some kind of mechanical thing, or what?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Yeah usually mounted right to the intake. Shaped like a pill bottle and a trapazoid on the intake mounting usually on fords. Maybe check your coolant temp sensor also, maybe it's not getting into closed loop

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
Ok, I think you're right Goat. I spent just a few minutes on some Mustang forums and it sounds just like my problem. I'm going to go clean it and if no dice on that, then I'll get a new one. Thanks.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
It's mounted on the throttle body. Looks cylindcrical, is about two inches long, and has a black two-wire plug connecting it. TPS voltage should be .89-.95 at idle. On a SD sytem, I used to set the base idle with the set-screw on the TB at 700-800 RPM when warm, and just let the IAC do its thing when the engine is cold or when the A/C is turned on. When warm, the engine should not die when you unplug the IAC. SD is way basic, and just needs TPS, O/2, and MAP sensors at idle.

HTH -Marcus

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
Ok, I took it out and cleaned it up last night, re-installed this morning, and it works again!!! Woot. :greg: