5:29 Gears for Toyotas

toyotajunk2

I need to know what brand of gears is worth getting. I was looking around on the internet and I know genuine gears are on backorder Those are what I wanted. I know about yukons. Expensive. But I also say brands like Precision. and other names I can't remember. Is it okay to go with an off name branhd or will I regret it? They are cheaper, but is it worth it? Or should I bite the bullet and go for the expensive ones.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
toyotajunk2 said:
...Is it okay to go with an off name branhd or will I regret it? They are cheaper, but is it worth it? Or should I bite the bullet and go for the expensive ones.

I would call Genuines the off name brand... do a search, they arn't the most famous... Go with Yukon, Sierra, Precision, or US.

But too my knowledge, most are backorded right now...

toyotajunk2

4 Wheel partssaid they could get a pair of Yukons for me but they were like $200 a piece. They said genuines were like $130 a piece with a lifetime warranty. Not sure what that entails, I need some soon! My little 4 cyl is getting a beating without them.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I've heard alot of bad things about genuine gears. I guess there not build very strong. The prices are crazy since there in such a high demand. I got quoted $109-220 for yukons. I paid $150 for the richmonds.

toyotajunk2

I will call around on richmonds. See if I can't get a decent price. By the way Kurt how is the Cruiser for Creed Haymond going. My name is Kevin Harper. I was helping him get it done I went to school with you back in the day.

notajeep

Just me
I broke a set of 5.29 genuine gears that I am still waiting on a free replacement for from 4 wheel parts. (broke on Easter) I got a set of seirra gears from Mt Logan for about $190 Including shipping. also...I've been thinking about the service that bobby long offers to freeze and harden your gears,(or other parts) for something like $30 a set. Maybe that would help the genuine gears last longer? :confused:
Sidenote-
Now I like and respect mt logan offroad, nice people, very smart, great work, etc.... BUT... Why is there shipping on everything? I know you can't stock it all. But then what is the point of buying from your shop and paying shipping when I could order from out of town, still pay shipping and avoid tax if purchased from out of state? I know that we should all support our local off-road shop, and I really want to....
Ok...I'm done ranting. I really like mt logan, John, and Nate..You guys rule! ;)

toyotajunk2

I am a cheap @$$ and would look at doing it right now for Under $300. DO these still have the warranty? They are for the 4cyl right?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
toyotajunk2 said:
I am a cheap @$$ and would look at doing it right now for Under $300. DO these still have the warranty? They are for the 4cyl right?

Brand new in the box purchased from rocklogic, we have 4:88's in one of our runners and we purchased the 5:29's to get a little more power, but after putting a LC engineering engine in we no longer needed them. I won't go under 300, i'm already knocking $15 dollars a piece off of them plus tax, and if you were ordering outside of UT your also saving shipping. Also i've already talked Vonski and he said I could return them so, there is no incentive for me to go under 300. let me know.

DToy

DO NOT GET GENUINE GEARS!!! I've broken them in my 4Runner...been running Yukon 5.29's ever since and never had a problem. Lifetime warranty on Genuine Gears is junk in my opinion...do they pay to tow your broken rig off of the trail? How about to set up the new gears? How about your time to pull the third members out? Spend the dough and get some real gears. If you don't have the money now you are far better off to wait until you do. Do it once and forget about it.

fullsizeyota

I fart sometimes
get on pirate4x4 and there is a guy named peakZJ. he sold yukons to my buddy for 130 a set... smokin deal. and he has them in stock

EVERYTHING i have read says DO NOT buy genuines. they suck. i dont have any personal experience with them, but rocklogic, local shops, people on the 'net and even 4wheel parts told me they suck

seriously for 130 a set, your stupid to buy anything else :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
toyotajunk2 said:
...By the way Kurt how is the Cruiser for Creed Haymond going. My name is Kevin Harper. I was helping him get it done I went to school with you back in the day.

Hey Kevin,

The Cruiser is coming along great, we are just about done cleaning up his engine bay, and getting ready to put the new motor & powersteering in... things are coming along nicely!

toyotajunk2

Sweet, We are waiting for them to get that thing done so we can go to Moab.
They always drag their feet anyways. So I am glad he has you workin' on it! Can't wait to see it alll done!

By the way TRD270 How do you like the LC Engineering Motor? What one did you get? I am looking at doing that in the winter. I have heard good and bad about it. (Like with everything I guess) I am interested in hearing how it really does out there.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
toyotajunk2 said:
By the way TRD270 How do you like the LC Engineering Motor? What one did you get? I am looking at doing that in the winter. I have heard good and bad about it. (Like with everything I guess) I am interested in hearing how it really does out there.

Love it, it runs great and it runs strong, we got the 22R Street Performer.

toyotajunk2

Is there a reason why you didn't go for the Offroad version. How much do you think the whole process cost? From buying to install?. Thanks for the input!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
toyotajunk2 said:
Is there a reason why you didn't go for the Offroad version. How much do you think the whole process cost? From buying to install?. Thanks for the input!

LC engineering folks said we might have a hard time with emissions with any engine other than the street performer, so thats what we went with.

natedawg

5.29 g,gears

i quit useing 4 wheel parts after 5 yaers of service due always on back order on there gears ,an locker i had warranty sent to the wrong address,so i dont recommened them . i now use yukon gears an no problems at all ,randys ring pionion great service and shipped to you with in 3 days. so its your call . :-\