5.7l TBI To 7.4lMPI Swap ???'s

BURB-STYLE

WhiTe tRash whEEling
So my buddy picked up a 97 vortec 454 to go in his 89 Suburban. It came with a box full of parts and included was the complete harness. i am wondering if anybody has done this swap and has tips, hints or if anyone knows where to get a schematic or wiring diagram that would tell me what wire goes where. The harness is the full harness from that 97 suburban, i am thinking that half of the wires are for turn sigs and stuff.

Is he going to need a reprogrammed computer for the non-elec. 700R4 that this thing is mating up too.

Anybody that has any tips or any info. greatly appreciated, seeing as how i have never played around with wiring very much.

If anybody wants to help install let me know all the free cold beer you can drink( i could probably get my buddy to buy bbq stuff too). Probably starting in like 2-3 weeks so no hurry.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
WOW! Cool project. Rocklogic has had a few GM harnesses reworked by a guy in Maryland. Good turn-around time and he seems to know what he's doing. I'd check with them.

Caleb

I've done a few in boats :D ours always came with stand alone computers so there was never any problems. As far as the tranny, the computer will need to be re-worked and you may need a stand alone harness for the tranny (I dont remember whats elec controlled on the 700 but I know it has an electrical plug still).

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
mbryson said:
WOW! Cool project. Rocklogic has had a few GM harnesses reworked by a guy in Maryland. Good turn-around time and he seems to know what he's doing. I'd check with them.

Yep, Jim's Performance has treated me right on 3 or 4 occasions now. He can do an all-new harness, but every time I've dealt with him I've had the complete harness already, so I sent that to him to be re-worked.

He'll strip out everything that doesn't need to be there, re-loom it, label everything, and re-program the computer if you need that done. Great price, great service, and he knows his stuff. When you talk to him, he can answer any questions you have--and if you have questions or concerns when you're installing it, you can call him for "tech support" too.