5 Mile Trip Report

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I will skip everything up to the waterfall, as it is just the same as every other week.:D

...So I approach the waterfall to find that it had been dug up really bad, not a bad thing but it would require me to try a little harder than usual. The Cruiser was working great, doing everything I asked it to, no non-sense... UNTIL

I heard a loud "kaboom" from the rear axle. It was obviously apparent that I had snapped a rear shaft. Not only did I not have a spare with me, but it was a c-clip style axle that would require some kind of riggin' to get out of there.... in comes the pro's

Shawn McSweeney and Tracy Evans specializes in trail repairs (so I have seen) along with them was the mobile tool store (I passionatly call the "Tool Shed") driven by tool guru Mark Bryson.

The team worked quick to fasten the tire in a way that would prevent all motion out of the borken side... tow ratchet straps, a chain, and a zip tie (all supplied by the "Tool Shed") and we were back in business. This technique would require that the tire drag out of the remaining portion of the trail and back to the trailhead where "Operation Driving" could take place.

After a quick winch up the waterfall, a tow strap was attatched to to 1/4 Eliptic toy and we were off. I dare say we never fell under 25 mph the rest of the way up. Once out of the trail and back on the Baja Road, we decided that the Cruiser would make it back on its own, just fine.... 3WD... and it did... I drove it back to the trailhead following Tracy and being followed by Shawn, Ollie, Chandler, Pat and crew...

From there we locked up the cruiser, said farewell to Jeremy (thanks for the chips dude!) and the rest of the guys and headed for home in MBrysons XJ. We made quick time... back to SL to get a trailer, back to the trailhead and picked up the cruiser, back to Sandy. All is well and I will sleep fine tonight... worry about fixin' the axle Monday...if then...:D

Thanks again everyone that got dirty workin' on it with me and stuck around while I dragged it out. :D And SUPER THANKS to MBryson and kids for taking his time to help get my rig home safe :D

Good Times!

:cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Shawn
hhehehehe, I have to giggle as I read this..

Thanks for the adventure Kurt.

No thank you... Mark and I decided that you really come out of your shell when it comes to trail repairs... NASA should hire you...:D

I couldn't feel better wheelin' with all you guys... a great group and always someone there to offer a suggestion ("hammer it") or a hand when you need it...:D

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Twice now we have had a rig on this water fall face with not being able to get it off the trail.

Twice now we have figured out a way to get it off the trail and back home.

Great minds seem to gather starange thoughts on how to make it work.

WAY COOL!!!

Attachments

• pcheerleader.gif
    pcheerleader.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 57

cyberduke

Hairy Bagel
The funniest part of the whole day though....

Everyone was having a tough time w/ the waterfall. There were holes that would completely swallow 38's. And w/ the snow, the normal line was pretty much toast. So, just after Shawn finally gets up and over, Brittany rolls up. But Jeremy is in the passenger seat. His 6 year old boy is driving and makes it first pass. I about wet myself laughing so hard. It was damn kewl!

Earl

Cruiser

look what i can do!!
i think the best part is when i look at the cruiser breakage on tape and see how excited shawn get when it happens ...............its funny!!!! i'll have to throw it on vhs to share next time.... :D :D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Shawn

I though I was giving it a good shot :)

I think you NEED A LOT MORE skinny pedal to break one of those. I don't think you 'bind up' (good suspension design, IMHO) enough to bounce and break. Just my observation. When you're on the gas and not making an obstacle, your tires pretty much stay on the surface and don't hop, much. Good stuff.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by mbryson

I think you NEED A LOT MORE skinny pedal to break one of those. I don't think you 'bind up' (good suspension design, IMHO) enough to bounce and break. Just my observation. When you're on the gas and not making an obstacle, your tires pretty much stay on the surface and don't hop, much. Good stuff.

Thanks Marc,

It good to hear that it is working. It's kind of hard to see what the suspension is doing from the drivers seat. I have to watch video's to see what is going on.