5 x 4.5" Bolt Pattern fits what?

terrymac

Can anybody tell me what vehicles use the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern? I have heard Bronco II, Ranger, some Jeeps but not sure which ones? Any help would be appreciated!

TerryMac

tv_larsen

'74.5-'79 Dodge 1/2 tons, Ramchargers, and Traildusters.

There are a lot of rigs that use that bolt pattern, but assume you mean 4wds only.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
tv_larsen said:
'74.5-'79 Dodge 1/2 tons, Ramchargers, and Traildusters.

There are a lot of rigs that use that bolt pattern, but assume you mean 4wds only.
I thought they were 5 on 5.5? or did you mean 2wd?

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Nah, the older ones were the little pattern, looks kinda silly to see 44 inch superswampers on a dodge, and think that is a good looking old mopar, and then see a cartoonishly small lug pattern.(< the lug pattern is the silly part referenced above)

The thought then is, do they break lugs?

And I thought the newer wagonners (99 or 00 whenever the body change was up) ran a 5 on 5.5?

tv_larsen

Hickey said:
I thought they were 5 on 5.5? or did you mean 2wd?

Nope, all of the Dodge 1/2 tons went to the tiny 5 on 4.5 in '74 (2wd and 4wd). This lasted through the ft4wd years, then in '80 when they went back to pt4wd, 5 on 5.5 was used again. But the 2wds kept the small pattern until '85 or '86 before going back to the 5.5" pattern.

It really is a silly size to use on a full-size with big tires. But regardless of bolt pattern, seeing 44"s on a 1/2 ton is silly. I've never heard of anyone breaking of studs with the small pattern, but I've seen a few cracked and broken wheel centers.

All of these small pattern Dodges with 4wd came with a Dana 44 front and a unit bearing similar to the unit bearing used on the current Jeeps and Dodge trucks, except the early ft4wd Dana 44 front wheel bearing are cheaper and greasable.