5MOH trip report (lots of pics)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supposedly this is one of the hardest and most unrelenting single tracks in North America and we finally had a chance to check it out. I like hard trails and a challenge... Little did I know what we were in for :ugh:

We arrived Friday just in time to hit the trail head and get an idea of what to expect.

DSCN3089.jpg

DSCN3090.jpg

As you can tell by this expression I was deeply in love with what I saw:

DSCN3091.jpg

Due to it being late we headed back towards camp after only seeing a small section of the trail. That night I had a hard time sleeping as I all I could think about was the day ahead.

DSCN3094.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Once you pass the 5MOH marker the trail quickly becomes difficult. The first section of the trail leads to a river bottom that is covered in fine sand. I expected this part to be somewhat relaxing because we were away from the rocks but soon found that it wasn't much easier :rofl:

DSCN3099.jpg

DSCN3100.jpg

Out of the bottoms and onto our first break of the day.

DSCN3103.jpg

Onward to some obstacles:

DSCN3104.jpg

DSCN3106.jpg

DSCN3107.jpg

DSCN3109.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
At the last minute I installed a 12 tooth front sprocket which helped immensely but I still found myself on the clutch a lot and stalling due the lack of flywheel weight. Either way it was a blast!

Nice scenery.

DSCN3124.jpg

At this point in the trail I'm going "you're kidding me right?!" :D Pics serve no justice here!

DSCN3113.jpg

Ya hoo!

DSCN3114.jpg

DENIED!!!

DSCN3115.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I tried twice and happily gave up. Time for some WR action!

DSCN3116.jpg

NONE SHALL PASS! :rofl:

DSCN3117.jpg

With a little help from each other both bikes made it over the top.

DSCN3118.jpg

I wish we would have gotten some better pics of this one. It was pretty steep with a nice HUGE drop off towards the top.

DSCN3122.jpg

DSCN3123.jpg

Another much needed rest :eek:

DSCN3111.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Then disaster set in :ugh: For whatever reason my steering stem bearings were getting tighter and tighter. With no way to loosen them here I removed my steering damper to help make things a little easier... :rolleyes: Now we are well into the trail and getting really worn out and my bike is hard to steer/slow to react.

DSCN3131.jpg

YAHOO! Loving this stuff :cool:

DSCN3125.jpg

DSCN3127.jpg

Oh the insanity... Need more rest... Are we done yet?! :D

DSCN3128.jpg

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Now that you have done it during the daylight, you will have to get a headlight and join us for our annual ride under a full moon!

Good job on making it through.....looks like you had fun.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Onward:

DSCN3130.jpg

Woops! All I saw was a cloud of sand then a bike down :ugh: Little too much zip on that one :p

DSCN3132.jpg

That's about it for the trail. 5MOH is about 7-8 miles in total length and it is hard from start to finish. On the out trail we were kicking the bikes into high gear when all of the sudden my RM died instantly and rolled to a stop :eek: I checked the usual things like fuel valve etc. then I pulled the plug hoping and praying that it just fouled out--even though it was just running great. Long story short: NO SPARK! :wtf:

We pulled the bike down checking for bad connections or loose wires--Nothing. At this point I'm thinking my good ol' Ricky Stator with only 50 miles on it bit the dust...

DSCN3133.jpg

Dead in the water and and 10 miles away from camp. After deciding that a helicopter ride is too expensive :rofl: Kevin heads back to the truck and finds a strap (that we should have had in the first place).

DSCN3134.jpg

I meanwhile find cover as the rain starts to pour! :rolleyes:

DSCN3135.jpg

The trail alone was very tiresome for me but pulling the bike back to camp in poor weather took all the energy I had left!

I'm 90% sure its the aftermarket stator that I just bought, but it goes to show how quickly things can go wrong when you are exhausted and miles away from camp. It was only a 20ish mile loop and even though I didn't have a multi-meter, a spare stator, a spare pulse coil, soldering iron, extra 16ga. wire, shop manual or a flywheel puller on hand :)laughing:) I am really happy that we always carry food and water. I'm also so happy that it died right after we finished the trail or it would probably still be sitting there :rofl:

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Its a breeze with an auto clutch.

I think the hardest part was not knowing what to expect around the next corner! :D An auto clutch would have been REALLY nice along with a trials tire.

The WR would lug down to nothing and did awesome but my bike doesn't have a flywheel weight yet so it took some fancy throttle/clutch work at times. Until it broke at the end I was tickled with how well it did work though.

Now that you have done it during the daylight, you will have to get a headlight and join us for our annual ride under a full moon!

Good job on making it through.....looks like you had fun.

We had a blast! I can't wait to get back down there. Once I get the equiptment I'd definately be up for a night ride :cool:

The people camped by us dressed and talked like pro's and most of them had very high dollar lighting along with every enduro bolt on you could think of and then some. They ran it the first night and they were back in only a few hours :cool:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The people camped by us dressed and talked like pro's and most of them had very high dollar lighting along with every enduro bolt on you could think of and then some. They ran it the first night and they were back in only a few hours :cool:

Did you catch any names? We usually do that trip during the first full moon of November, but this year that wont come until later in the month. So depending on weather, we may not do it this year. It may have been part of the group i usually do this with.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
looks like a really cool trail!!!!!
i love the technichal stuff that beats you into submission!

nothing worse than loosing a stator! except loosing a stator when your miles away from nowhere!!! simillar thing happend to me sledding last year, (I was 32 miles east of nowhere)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Had to look through this once again :D

I'd REALLY like to hit 5MOH again this year. I think I'd stand a better chance this time on the CR. If I can hurry and lace up an 18" wheel with a trials tire I think that would be even better!