6.0 GM gasser motors-high mileage? Please edumacate me on GM trucks circa 2000ish

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Kicking around buying a GM 2500 truck with a 6.0L. Price is right, miles are a little higher than I'm comfortable with at 240k. Truck has been maintained well and has all records. Has a few bumps on it, but overall a good driving truck with solid power and seemingly good torque.

I can't imagine getting awesome mileage with the truck (13-15 mpg?) but how will it take hills with a Jeep on a flatbed behind it? If I did need to rebuild the motor, what's that cost? I think it's a 2000 model year (maybe 2001?) and I assume the auto would be a 4L80? It's not a 2500 HD, just a 2500. What's the difference? Truck has 8 lug axles.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Not too much to add, but my father-in-law drives around a 5.3 powered 1500 with somewhere around 450K miles on it. The thing is beat up--has been a construction truck its whole life...but keeps on running.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We have several 1 ton GM trucks at UP that are 4WD, running a 6.0l and a 4L80E... a couple of them have made it over 350k miles without any drivetrain problems and they get driven often and hard.

For a gasser tow rig, IMO it's hard to go wrong with a 3/4 or 1 ton GM truck with a 6.0l engine. They tow great, the only tradeoff is the MPG's. Without a load (IIRC) they average no more than 12 MPG. Towing, they're in the single digits... :eek:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
These engines are great. I wouldn't rebuild one though if it went out. They can be had pretty cheap to just swap out. I have been looking for a 2500 quad cab for a while now. I want one with a factory CNG kit. I have a fill station right by my work so it's very convenient for me. That makes the gas prices like driving a Civic. Running on CNG, the engines run way cleaner and last even longer. If only the trannies could keep up at that point.

ID Bronco

I had a 2000 2500 suburban with the 6.0 and 480le. Great combination if you ask me. I towed my Bronco all over the west with it and our entire family. I sold it with 190K and it ran great. We averaged about 12 mpg in town, toting kids everywhere, but with just the Suburban and keeping it at 65 (yellowstone trips) I could get about 16. Bump up to 80 mph and it was back to 12.

6.2Diesel

The 6.0 is a sweet motor, most of our company trucks are running them, they seem to need a higher rpm for the hills, we tow to wyoming frequently and they seem sluggish.... I know this isn't your thought but if you can find a 2001+ with the 8.1 and a Allison the word is that the mileage is near identical to a 6.0 with a 4l80e, 8.1's are torque monsters, you'd be spinning lower rpms for sure. I've noticed several yukon xl and suburbans with the 8.1 for a fraction of the cost of a pickup also. Unfortunately they don't come with the Allison and only the 4l80e, which is apparently only getting in the 12's empty, maybe 9 towing. My 2 cents...

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I love our '08 1 ton with a 6.0 and 6L90 (I believe). It has 130k miles and seems to be running strong. Fully loaded I'm happy when we get 8mpg with the jeep on the bed and an 18' hard sided trailer in tow. I really think this truck is a keeper for us, its a work truck model so I don't care about getting in with muddy shoes.

As far as rebuild, I think crate motors run <$5k...?

As far as speed on hills, the motor really likes to sing. It was a transition getting used to letting it spin faster, but now I'm mostly used to it. With our old Duramax I was so anal about EGT's that I'd end up backing off on hills anyway, so it hasn't been a huge transition with speed.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I know this isn't your thought but if you can find a 2001+ with the 8.1 and a Allison the word is that the mileage is near identical to a 6.0 with a 4l80e, 8.1's are torque monsters, you'd be spinning lower rpms for sure.

I'm guessing Marc is well aware of this, if for no other reason than my 8.1L Suburban.

I've noticed several yukon xl and suburbans with the 8.1 for a fraction of the cost of a pickup also. Unfortunately they don't come with the Allison and only the 4l80e, which is apparently only getting in the 12's empty, maybe 9 towing. My 2 cents...

FYI: my last two fillups in the Suburban have involved zero towing, and those tanks averaged 11.9 and 12.0 mpg. The downside to the biggest engine is the fuel economy when you're unladen. If the tow rig will also be your daily/only driver, dropping to a 6.0L would be a good idea in my opinion.

Towing, however, is another story. Back in July when Marc and I (and Brett) were blasting across I-80 Nevada at 75 MPH pulling our car haulers and Jeeps, I was observing 9.7-9.8 mpg. This was virtually identical to Marc's 5.4L 32v Navigator, and a 6.0L Chevy would have done no better. (If you're curious, my worst tank of the entire trip was going from Carson City over the brutal pass to South Tahoe, then back over the pass again returning to Carson City--that segment averaged 8.9 mpg.)

Since I rarely drive my Suburban without a trailer attached, I absolutely love my 496. :D

Bart

I'm struggling with the same thought process now. Janeal hates the rear seat of my PSD Super Crew. The seat is small and there are times when we need one. She wants me to sell the truck and the Volvo (which is now my dd) and get something with 4 real doors and that can tow our boat. I just don't know if I want to drive something that gets 12mpg around town all the time.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'd like to hear your impressions on the V10 and the truck overall.

Congrats :cool: I know a few people that really like their V10's.

Marc, did you find one with 4.30 gearing?

A couple months ago, I wrote the following in another car forum. Since it relates to the above, I thought I'd copy-n-paste it here. (I hope I don't offend anyone.)

test drive car review: 2000 Ford Excursion V10

A couple weeks ago, we took in a pristine 2000 Ford Excursion Limited. It was completely stock, had only 92k miles, and looked just like this one:

2002-ford-excursion.jpg

As we all know, Ford created this vehicle specifically to compete with the Suburban. Since I own a Suburban 2500, I was very curious how the Ford would compare. Seeing how this Excursion had the V10 engine, it was a direct competitor to my 8.1L big block Chevy... and thus the perfect Excursion for me to sample. Once I had a few minutes of down time, I grabbed the keys and headed out.

Cargo room

I recall Ford advertising and bragging about how the Excursion was even bigger than the Suburban. It is 7" longer overall, and this seems to be primarily a result of a longer wheelbase (137.1" verses 130.0"). Looking in the cargo area, there didn't seem to be any more room than in the Chevy. If anything, the Ford looks like it has less space because they mount the spare tire inside rather than underneath.

f_346121456-3381387198.jpeg

Looking back, the Excursion was released in 1999. The Suburban was restyled for the 2000 model year, meaning its own new body style wasn't released to the public until the Excursion was already on the market. This leads me to believe that Ford used the GMT400 Suburban as their engineering bogey rather than the then-new GMT800 version, and the GMT400 Suburban also stored its spare tire inside. Hmm.

Controls & driver comfort

I didn't bother to sit in the rear seats. Climbing into the cockpit, I wasn't exactly impressed by the driver's bucket seat. Don't get me wrong; the Suburban's seat would never be confused with anything sporty. But by comparison, the Ford's seat felt flatter and offered even less bolstering. I just wasn't quite comfortable, though that may have been due in part to the lack of familiarity with the vehicle.

gauges.jpg

I did think it was nice of Ford to include a trans fluid temp gauge like my Suburban, though theirs does not have any actual temp readings on it, limiting its usefulness IMO. I also thought it was sad that Ford chose to make room for it by removing the voltage gauge. As far as general control layout, everything was arranged logically enough to prevent me from making any serious complaints.

The driving experience

I began driving at a gentle pace, allowing the engine to come up to temperature before getting on it hard. Right away, I couldn't help but notice how bouncy the ride was. I know Ford has a heavy-duty F-250 suspension under there, but at 35 MPH the front end felt like I was riding a pogo stick. Taking turns at speed was not exactly confidence-inspiring, and even its straight road behavior wasn't exactly stellar. Everything about it just felt like, well, an old truck.

(After my drive, I looked underneath and discovered the front leaf springs. No wonder this things rides so rough! I had forgotten about them and thought there would be coils under there.)

With the engine warm, I began to toe into it a few times. By that I mean I applied more pressure to the gas pedal, but not much seemed to happen. I know this thing weighs over 7,200 pounds, so maybe I was expecting too much from 310 HP and 425 lb-ft. On a freeway on ramp, I went WOT through first and second to really see what the V10 could do. Compared to my ~ 6,500 lb Chevy with its 325 HP and 450 lb-ft, the Ford felt considerably slower.

Once at speed at 65 MPH, I noticed the tachometer settled in at about 1900 rpm. At that same road speed, my Suburban (which has 4.10 gears) would be spinning about 2300 rpm. "Ah," I thought to myself, "no wonder this thing is so pokey--it must just have 3.73 gears in it." Upon my return to the dealership, I went to the glovebox to search for evidence of the gear ratio. There with the owners manual was the original Monroney label, nicely folded up. As I opened it and took a peek, I was shocked--shocked--to see this Excursion had actually been opted up to the 4.30 ratio. Really? Really??? How tall are the gears in the transmission, I wondered. Wow.

While I had the owners manual in hand, I looked up the tow rating. The V10 + 4.30 combo was pegged at 10,000 pounds. By comparison, my Suburban is rated for 12,000. I'm curious what the diesel Excursion would be rated, but that engine wasn't mentioned in this book. (I'm guessing the diesel version gets its own unique owners manual.)

Summary

If you needed a large beast of burden to haul lots of people and/or a trailer, and if you've never driven any Suburban built after 1991, you might be happy with the abilities of the Excursion. However, if you have ever driven a Suburban for even just 50 yards--especially if it was a GMT800 version--then you'll have no difficulty figuring out why Chevy continued to dominate this market throughout the lifespan of the Excursion.

mombobuggy

I'd LOVE an 8.1. We passed on one 6.0 truck but I think it's a solid truck. We ended up getting a Ford v10. We'll see how that works out
My only real regret about my v10 is that I should have put headers on it from day one. not 13 years after I bought it. It was an awful job changing them because there is very little space to work around the huge crossmember. But the result is worth every bloddy knuckle and cuss word. It is now getting at least two more miles per gallon and it runs like a 6.8 or a 415 should run. Wow what an improvement . I look all the time to see if it is in low range. the off idle torque is that much better.

oxbronco

Congrats on a solid truck! Check out 5 star tuning it will really wake up the v10, also like was mentioned above headers and 4.30s are a must. There are a few people with the early v10s that have blown out sparkplugs 99-04, then the 05-08s dont come out and they break off in the head. Check out ford truck enthusiasts before you do a plug change there is alot of usefull info on their site. We own three v10s in our company I blew a plug on my 02 but that is the only probelm I have had with the truck since it was new 150,000 on it now. We pull 10,000 with these trucks on a regular basis and yes they wont pull as fast as the diesels up parleys but they do a decent job. They best mileage I have got out of mine was 13 and that was one time i usually get around 11.5 to 12 on the highway, and I have got as low as 7 pulling. The thing that I do like about them compared to a diesel is the maintenance is so much cheaper, and im my experience they are actually more reliable. We also have a 97 chev 454, a 01 chev with the 8.1 and a 06 gmc with the 6.0. The 06 is a really good truck and the 6.0 is a great engine it is pretty comparable to the v10 as far as pulling goes and gets a little better mileage. The 97 and the 01 chevs however literally self distructed between 100,000 and 130,0000 miles.