6.4 powerstroke?

Barnburner

They didnt strangle the engine. They just softened up the initial fuel strategy off idle. It's a truck, not a Mustang. If you want to boil the tires at stop lights, buy something else. If you want to pull a heavy trailer and allow it to survive a couple hundred thousand miles, do it this way. Alot of the strategy is due to your wonderful government regulations as well. If you could keep those morons out of the puzzle, the trucks would be better off.

I have replaced way too many torque converters and transmissions on tow rigs Dodges, Chevs and Fords to know that after doing one or two of them, they all suck to work on.

Dont knock them until you hang a 44 ft, 19,000# trailer behind one and accelerate on to the freeway. It'll get it done.

I drove the QA1 truck and trailer for a couple years all over the country. The trailer was over 19000# loaded. Crew Cab F350 Dually 4x4, 6.4 auto.
We average 14 plus MPG on the Hot Rod Power Tour this year through the Kentucky mountains. It pulled it just fine.

My complaint about mine is the fuel mileage. It is an'08 single rear wheel crew cab 4x4. I like the pulling power, but fuel mileage is nothing like my 6.0 or 7.3 was. I have not had any warranty issues to this point.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Bumping this back up.

Im kind of thinking of upgrading my 03 F350 with the 7.3. 6.0 is basically out of the question for me. Altho I absolutely love a 6.0 that has been fixed....I dont want to mess with it. Plus I have had 4 superduty trucks and Im ready for an interior change. I love the dash in the 08.

So.......does anyone out there have a 6.4 now that cares to comment?

rustyjeep21

I dont have a 6.4 but have talked to several owners. Only real complaint is the Mileage. That said they are getting what we average in our 97 CC PSD. A few people Ive talked to have deleted the emissions crap (Idaho) and doubled the mpg, and say it also wakes the truck up.

blznnp

Like rustyjeep said, my biggest complaint is mileage, especially when comparing to what the people with duramax and cummins say they are getting. I liked the power of the engine in stock form, for a 8000lbs truck I felt it had good acceleration and didn't expect it to get crazy good mpg but I did expect better, guess I should have done some research first. With the dpf delete and tuner its real fun to drive. The only time I towed a good distance with it, I forgot to figure out what the mpg was so I can't really say what I get towing since the other times I have only towed short distances. Overall though, I am really happy with the truck. They do have radiator problems and I don't know how much the radiator is that most of the ford guys buy when the stock one gives problems. Right after I bought the truck the turbo was making some weird noises ( due to the boost and no blow off valve, or so I have read and its normal with these trucks) so I had the dealership look at it and they ended up replacing my egr valve but I have not heard of it being a problem with the 6.4, mainly just the radiators.

ChestonScout

Cool.

I drove a F450 today. I was very happy with the power. Felt about like my 7.3 with my chip turned up. Drove very very nice. I absolutely loved the truck except it is a true Utah truck. Already a cancer spot on the hood and the whole under carriage is way rusty. The oil pan has horrible cancer spots. Looks like you could poke thru with a screwdriver pretty easy. The other truck Im looking at has a new radiator withing the last 4000 miles. Weird thing to have problems with consistantly

blznnp

They have a couple TSB's out that have to do with the radiator, the seem to blame other things on the cause for the radiator, just trying to avoid a recall I guess. Is that just from the salt in the winter times?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
go test drive the new 6.7 fords... they are great and get about 20 mpg empty... if I had 45-65 thousand to spend that is where I would do it... 400 hp and 800 lb-ft of torque stock... dodge put out their new 6.7 with 850 lb-ft of torque but have yet to see one in a dealership to test drive...

oxbronco

My father in law has a 6.4 he bought new in 08. He drives constantly through the western states, he has 290,000 on it. He did a radiator when it was nearly new, and had a rocker arm break a few months ago. They ended up replacing the whole rocker assembly that ended up costing him just under a grand to fix. Other than those two things it has been a great truck. No trans issues or drivetrain issues at all. He is also running all of the stock emissions stuff. He does complain about the mileage though. He has 5 other 6.4s for his business they have all been pretty reliable trucks.

ChestonScout

go test drive the new 6.7 fords... they are great and get about 20 mpg empty... if I had 45-65 thousand to spend that is where I would do it... 400 hp and 800 lb-ft of torque stock... dodge put out their new 6.7 with 850 lb-ft of torque but have yet to see one in a dealership to test drive...

I have driven a 6.7. Very impressive! But like you say.....65k. Im looking at WAY less than that. I do like the front end of the 08-10 front end better tho

Cheston if you are serious ill sale mine 2008 king ranch 450 dpf delete it has 40,000 but it needs tires pm me if interested.

Pm incoming

blznnp

I can vouch for how nice of a truck Jesser04 has, the interior is very clean and the overall truck if very nice.

LT.

The technology for fords turbo diesels has been advancing at an increadible rate. The 6.0 liter can be made into a real performer and the 6.4 can make 500 hp and nearly 1000 ft lbs with just the usuall upgrades. Intake, exhaust, tuner, and deleted.

LT.

blznnp

The technology for fords turbo diesels has been advancing at an increadible rate. The 6.0 liter can be made into a real performer and the 6.4 can make 500 hp and nearly 1000 ft lbs with just the usuall upgrades. Intake, exhaust, tuner, and deleted.

LT.
With the tuner I have and the exhaust, intake, dpf delete, tuner, similar trucks are getting dynoed with around that 500 hp and between 950-1100 ft lbs. It sure if fun driving a truck with that much power, only draw back is how heavy it is, which is good and back depending how you are using it.

LT.

With the tuner I have and the exhaust, intake, dpf delete, tuner, similar trucks are getting dynoed with around that 500 hp and between 950-1100 ft lbs. It sure if fun driving a truck with that much power, only draw back is how heavy it is, which is good and back depending how you are using it.

Exactly. When the 6.4 was first introduced it did okay for power and was horrible for mileage. After some diesel performance gear heads got a hold of them they changed dramaticly and are now race ready tow rigs. Reliability is high for the truck and engine now. It is pretty amazing how quickly the turbo diesel technology is changing.

LT.

sixb

Will work for beer!
Bumping this back up.

Im kind of thinking of upgrading my 03 F350 with the 7.3. 6.0 is basically out of the question for me. Altho I absolutely love a 6.0 that has been fixed....I dont want to mess with it. Plus I have had 4 superduty trucks and Im ready for an interior change. I love the dash in the 08.

So.......does anyone out there have a 6.4 now that cares to comment?

The next time your at the shop you should talk to my neighbors, they have 2 08s one is a 350 the other is a 450 they both have had the engine replaced and get crappy mpg, both stock. There best most reliable truck is a 450 with the v10.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Since my reply in 09 my brothers work truck (08 6.4 F450 10' LWB with heavy utility bed) has seen a couple more radiators, a half dozen or more computer re-flashes and a new engine. The radiator is obvious but they didn't give him much detail as to why the engine blew or why the computer needs re-flashed so often. Still returning 8mpg.

ChestonScout

Sounds like there are a lot of pooches out there. along with a lot that have 200k+ miles with no issues. i havent decided what to do yet.

i wish dodge wasnt so ugly and uncomfortable and chev made a truck instead of a suv with a bed on it

LT.

Sounds like there are a lot of pooches out there. along with a lot that have 200k+ miles with no issues. i havent decided what to do yet.

i wish dodge wasnt so ugly and uncomfortable and chev made a truck instead of a suv with a bed on it

All three of the big three are going to have their strengths and weaknesses. The trick is to find a rig that will work with you. Seats in the dodge can be changed out. Ugly is a personal call. I always thought the model fords you are looking at were ugly. The headlights are below the marker lights. Unusuall for sure. Chevy makes a hell of a tow rig as well. They are a little low but, they will return the best mileage, stock for stock. For the 2012 year they would out run both ford and dodge. Diesel Power Magazine test all three on a run through the Eisenhower tunnels. Chevy out did the others easily. Dont get stuck in a brand loyality battle. You dont owe Ford a thing. Look at what other makes have to offer. They all make quality trucks and they all will make some lemons as well.

LT.

Last edited: